Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mapping info question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 19, 1999
US
Visit site
Does anyone have any ideas on how I would go about setting up a sql program or any other type of program that could take a tab delimited ASCII file and be able to add the information to a table based on mapping constraints. For example, the ASCII file would look like this:<br>
Code1 Code2 Breed DogID Description<br>
B1 C2 Collie 43 brown with spots<br>
<br>
The program would need to understand that a dog from (B1, C2) would belong in my category# 198 so my table would look like this.<br>
<br>
Code Breed DogID Description<br>
198 Collie 43 brown with spots<br>
<br>
Please let me know if you have any thoughts or ideas where I could find information.

Oooh, Shockerman, dealing with text files in sql is ugly. There are a few approaches you could try, but none are very elegant and you still have a lot of coding to do:<br>
<br>
1. I would write something (outside of Oracle and sql) to convert the data to fixed length fields. Believe me, doing that will make your life easier. Then create a temporary table to hold the raw data and use sqlloader to put the data into the table. Write a pl/sql program to read the rows from the temporary table, do whatever checks and data manipulations needed, and update your good table from there.<br>
<br>
2. If you don't want to convert your input data into fixed length fields, you could try loading the data into a temporary table that has one huge VARCHAR2 or LONG field. Then write a pl/sql program, using functions such as translate, rtrim, substr, etc, to delineate the data and update the good table.<br>
<br>
3. Try for another way to access text files in sql. It does involve messing with the initORA files and I'm always reluctant to do that. But it may be helpful.<br>
<br>
If I think of any other suggestions I'll let you know, but it's my humble opinion that you'll be better off using method #1. It just involves a little front end work of massaging the data into fixed length fields. Once that's done, the rest is easy. Good luck!<br>
<br>
<br>

You might want to give the folks at DataJunction a call. They have a (pretty cheap) product that does a lot of transformations. -- dba<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back