Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mapping Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

redman71

IS-IT--Management
Mar 15, 2002
US
Hello

I've created a batch file that I'm using to map drives for users. I've created on called MAPALL.BAT, however it's not working. Here is the script:

@ECHO OFF
NET USE J: \\<SERVERNAME>\VOL1\SECTIONS\CORP
NET USE R: \\<SERVERNAME>\VOL1 SECTIONS\TECH
NET USE S: \\<SERVERNAME>\VOL1\SHARED\APPS

Is this correct? Does anyone have any ideas why it doesn't work?

Thanks

The commands are right.. try to type them in seperatly in the command(dos) window and see if the command completed succefully. If it is i don't c why it shouldn't work..if it aint (acces denied) i guess something is wrong with the permission settings on the shared folders.Check those to c if share name is set ok.
In the command use: net use z: \\servername\sharename

Thanks, but I've tried that as well...and keep getting an &quot;Error 53 Network path was not found&quot;. I've also tried to map the drive via Add Network Place Wizard. I can browse to the directory itself (therefore it does exist) but when I finish the wizard, it says &quot;Network path was not found&quot;.

Any thoughts?

Definitely a permissions problem I would think. If you can get to it via network wizard and then when you click finish and you are getting the error I think you may have a permissions problem. Recheck the permissions. And make sure you are logged in as someone that has rights to the directories in question.

Thanks to both of you.

That was the problem. Works fine now!!

Error 53 Network path not found indicates that there are problems resolving your servername. Are you able to &quot;ping servername&quot;, or is VOL1 shared ?

Type a NET VIEW \\<SERVERNAME> to see the share you've created on the server <SERVERNAME> and then try a NET USE S: \\<SERVERNAME>\<share> where <share> is one of the share's you've used.

Is there a way to create a GLOBAL script (batch file) that has sort of this scenario:

net use s: \\<servername>\SHARED

If member of &quot;Admin&quot; then
net use r: \\<servername>\<share>
End

If member of &quot;Auditors&quot; then
net use p: \\<servername>\<share>

This way I wouldn't have to create multiple scripts for members of different directories..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back