Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mapping Drives with Aliases 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beau71

MIS
Jul 18, 2006
US
I was wondering if there was anyway to map drives based on aliased instead of UNCs.

For example, my file server is named FILESERVER. There are four main shares on it (EVERYONE, SHARE, PROFILES, APPS). I tried creating a CNAME called EVERYONE and pointed it back to FILESERVER but that didn't work. Is there anyway to use aliases like this?

Not with DNS. CNAME entries are for server names not share names.
What is the solution that you are trying to provide?

I should have been a little more clear, sorry for the confusion.

I want to ensure that in the future if we want to move a share to another server all I would have to is change where the CNAME pointed to.

For example, for the EVERYONE share I could map it this way
\\FILESERVER\EVERYONE
But i wanted to know if i could do it this way
\\<Alias>\EVERYONE : Where the alias would point to FILESERVER

I wanted to use DFS but was told I was not to.

Why were you told not to use DFS? It's the perfect solution in this case.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Regarding Davetoo's suggestion, I agree with him. You should look into and research DFS.

Regarding a future move to another server yes you can use a CNAME for the server name.

For exmaple:
ServerName: FileServer1 - DNS Host Record(A) 192.168.0.1
Clients Connect \\FileServer1\Everyone

Migrate to a new server.
ServerName: FileServer2 - DNS Host Record(A) 192.168.0.2
CNAME: FileServer1 - Points to FileServer2 Host Record.
Clients Connect using either \\FileServer2\Everyone or \\FileServer1\Everyone.
Obviously the orginal (A) Record for FileServer1 192.168.0.1 should be removed from DNS.

Again, DFS would eliminate all this work.

Thank you for all your input.
I was told by my boss that we are not to use DFS since he doesn't like to use new technologies that he doesn't know.

However, I see no other way then after these responses. Hopefully this will be proof enough to use DFS.

Once again thank you all

Wow. You should maybe suggest moving back to NT or something then. I hate how this is so prevalent in IT these days, people instead of keeping an open mind are so scared of change that it forces them into an unending cycle of inefficient work procedures that will drive people under them crazy.

we are not to use DFS since he doesn't like to use new technologies that he doesn't know.

It's hardly new. His failure to know the technology is causing you more work. Shove the whitepaper in his face and tell him to read it over the weekend! :)

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

I used to have a boss like that. He'd say "I want to see that in a lab before we do it." I'd spend countless hours building a lab environment to demonstrate it, and he'd never look at it. I quite building the lab environments and just did the tasks I needed to do.

Microsoft Exchange MVP

LMAO, I was just told to build it in a demo environment first. I couldn't agree more with moving forward with technology.

This is also the boss that turned down blade servers because he never used them before.

If at all possible, use 2003 R2. There's a HUGE difference in DFS from a bandwidth point of view.

Microsoft Exchange MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back