Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mapping Drives via VPN from XP Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

theo1881

Technical User
Jul 26, 2004
GB
My firm runs a windows 2000 environment. i recently purchased a pc at home with xp home installed. i connect to the internet via a dsl router and then connect to my company network via a vpn connection with typical security settings.

When trying to connect a network drive I get a path could not be found message (this includes selecting connect as another user and using my network credentials). This message appears whether using the ip address of the machine that the share is on or the name with the correct entry in the hosts file.

from a command prompt i can ping the machines via ip or name and a start, run and entering the ip address will open an explorer window but will show no shares, again whether via ip or name

anyone got any bright ideas ?

Windows XP home does not support logging on to domains or active directory. It's possibly only machines authenticated through AD are allowed to connect to shares in your corporate network.

That was my first thought, there are other possible causes to this problem, but the one i mentioned might be worth investigating.

I never use xp home, but even with xp pro you will have that problem also.

Maybe you can try this if you can find it on xp home:
1. right click my computer, go to properties
2. Computer name, change the workgroup name exactly = your domain name at work.
3. Click more
4. Check Change primary dns.......
5. Enter your domain at work for primary dns.....

Again.. I'm not sure if these options (step 4 n 5) exist on xp home.

You can connect to yoor work network or your home network if you need to. What you need to do is map a network drive to the required share if you have access to it. You can test this by performing a net use \\servername\sharename or \\server ip\share name to prove this. If this works then accessing resources to your network should work.

I'm having very similar problem. Except my server that I'm trying to map to by IP/Name is a Fedora Linux Server. When I tried to map to the share point I get the "network path are no longer avaible". Howerver, I'm able to mapped to the Win2003 server. I'm able to ping every machines on the network. I have added all the server name and IP in the "hosts" file in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc. BTW, I'm using XP Professional on my home PC.....John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back