Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mapping drive from WIn2K to Win98 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawgfan1606

Technical User
Feb 12, 2002
US
Ok, I know there is a simple answer and a simple solution to this problem. I have a TCP/IP peer to peer network consisting of three Win98 boxes and one Win 2K box. I have a database on one of the Win98 boxes that all four boxes connect to. I have the database shared and all computers can access and share the database.
When the Win 2K box is logged off/shutdown and restarted it attempts to connect to the share. I get a box that pops up and states that "you connect to \\1\qs2000 as (computer name)\(user name) and then requires me to type a user name and password again. It does not matter if I use a valid user name or not...as long as the password is correct it will connect. I have tried all kinds of username/password combos and it will always do the same thing when you logon to the Win 2k machine. How do I get this to stop?

When you map the shared folder on the win2k box, make sure you select the option connect using a different user name. At the prompt, type the user name and password that works.
Hope this helps!

already tried connecting as a different user and still get the same problem. I have also disconnected and remapped using a different drive letter. Reshared the folder on the Win 98 box and changed the shared name. I am sure I am missing something very simple.

Are you trying to get it to autologin without a password? Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

are you referring to the reconnect at login box? If not, then no. How?

This is going to sound silly, but try making sure all the pc's have correct hosts and lmhosts files. I had a network card sending out bad packets, not many, but just enough to cause confusion on the network. I took care of those two files, and it solved the problem. (Been there, done that.) Good luck "It is never too late to learn what is always necessary to know".
Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4 BC - 65AD); Roman philosopher and statesman.

How are you mapping the share exactly?

it doesn't appear the win2k machine is in the same workgroup as the 98 boxes..hosts file can come into play here..it seems like you are logging in locally, and mapping a drive as a network user passing credentials along to the 98 box which isnt happening automatically for you.

Client for MS Networks should be installed and operational on all pc's and make sure your accounts are setup on all machines.

There's lots more to pick at..but basic network connectivity seems to be the cause here. The win98 machines have to have file & print sharing enabled for your 2k account.
Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

You can map a drive, and include the user name and password in the mapping.
net use devicename password /share \persistent:no
correct syntax available using net use /?

I had this same issue at a clients site. To get it to keep the mapping automatically, make sure that the usernames are on both computers and have the same passwords. For ex, if you connect to the share using admin, make sure you have created the admin account on both computer and have the same password. This is what solved it for us. Let me know if this helped you. Laterz

here is the jist of everything...hope this has more info to find a solution.

pc1 - Win2k Pro computer name=Janel pswrd= book
pc2 - Win 98 se computer name=1 pswrd=hunter2
pc3 - Win 98 se computer name=2 pswrd=hunter1
pc4 - Win 98 se computer name=3 pswrd=hunter3

The TCP/IP peer to peer is working fine. PC2 has a database it shares with all other computers. I naturally shared the folder as its own name "QS2000". So the path is \\1\qs2000 and has a password of 8155 for full permissions.

I mapped a drive at each workstation and all connect fine...except the Win2K machine. The original Win2k user "administrator", which has a password of 8155 will connect to all shares upon logging on. The problem comes when I add users and map a drive under their names. I added two additional users: Janel and Krysta. When one of them attempts to login...the shares always pops up a window asking for the share password..which is 8155...they enter it and all is fine. How do I get this to automatically connect at login for these users. I have tried the login as a different user routine and used all kinds of combinations from Administrator/8155 to the the Win 98 login and pswrd. It works fine for the administrator password, but not any other users on the Win 2K machine. I am sure a batch file is the answer...but I am not sure how to do it. As you can see...I am not a professional at this...only a do-it-yourselfer.

Thanks for any heelp

Have you tried the solutiklons in the previous posts and it still isnt working?

You should create an account on the 98machines for the 2 users needing to connect to it at least.

Then map the drive from the 2K machine, and check the "reconnect at logon" box.

Have you got that far? pbxman
Systems Administrator

thanks for the input. I did not see that before I posted my last. I did not realize I would have to create users on the 98 box - since there is no security. I will give it a try.

Thanks

ok, refer to my long post above for specifics. I created the user names and passwords on the 98 machine. Still, the users on the (1) Win2K box cannot connect to the shares...it will always popup and ask for the correct password for their accounts. Once they enter 8155...all is fine. I have tried to connect as a different user and that does not work.

Obviously I am looking at a password problem. the shared folder on the 98 box has a fullshare password of 8155. The administrator account on the Win2K box has a password of 8155 and connects to all shares fine.

How would a logon script be written to connect these users, since other means are not working.

I know this is a simple problem, but I am pulling my hair out.

I'm running a 50 machine peer to peer network and the same thing happens with me. This behavior is by default. Windows 2000 doesn't cache passwords like Win9x. Any Win9x box on our network reconnects mapped drives without prompting because it caches passwords. There may be a registry hack for the 2000 machines but I haven't discovered it yet. The search continues...

The 2000 machine needs to have the same workgroup or domain name as the 98 machines. If it's using share-level access with password-protection on it, Windows 2000 won't understand that. In that case, you would have to login as
98computername\administrator then enter password as CapnWinky stated. pbxman
Systems Administrator

Hi,
I run a similar configuration; On startup I map a drive on a windows98 box to a windows2000prof user.

This user belongs to the power user group!!!!!
I always get the mapping without beeing additionally asked for passwords when log in (except the usual login box!).

The w2000-user has no account on the w98 box.

May be, that the power user makes the diffference??

regards
Dieter

No, I bet your workgroup/domain config is setup correctly Dieter. In that case you wont need to enter anything. :) pbxman
Systems Administrator

pbxman,
my configuration is a follows:

one workgroup

all boxes belong to that workgroup;
2 w98 boxes; 2 W2000prof boxes and 1 NT 4.SP6;
one of the w98 boxes serves as Internet gateway and as DHCP
server.
(I use AVM Ken!DSL as proxy and firewall)

All boxes are on share level access, but no drive is password protected; ( I have no need to protect something, because its my private home configuration for family members only :))

there are mappings from the NT box to the w98 gateway box
and mappings from NT to W2000 and w2000 to the w98 gateway.

on startup all conections are setup properly, as long as the box-in-question is allready up! otherwise I get a message, whether to stop trying to reconect.

I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Dieter

OK. If a Y2K workstation is not part of a domain the Net Logon service will not start automatically by default. You need to set that service to start automatically. Also check to see if the Workstation service is set to start automatically. The Net Logon Service depends on the workstation service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back