Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mapped drives vs. Shortcuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metty

MIS
Nov 17, 1999
US
Can anybody tell me the difference between mapping a drive across the WAN and creating a shortcut across the WAN? For example, if Server1 is a server across the country- I map my H: drive to Server1\share versus creating a shortcut on my desktop to Server1\share.

I'm interested in the affects on WAN traffic using these 2 methods. Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Metty

The computer will look for a mapped drive at startup and connect it then.
A shortcut will only be access when the uses trys to access it.

Hope it helps

What is the affect on WAN traffic when using a shortcut instead of mapped drives? Does the connection to the remote server cease after you close the shortcut window?

Thanks!

As Happyal said, one starts with the login, the other when its first used. Closing though they act the same, as windows 2000 will close a mapped drive after a period of time (icon then shows a red 'x') and will reconnect when you attempt to use the mapped drive. I believe a shortcut to a network resource works the same way, even when the window is closed the connection remains existant for a period of time.

Actual traffic for establishing a mapped drive is ~16 packets (two four-groups with same as ACKs) but you can measure this with traffic monitor. Unless you are mapping to drives many hops away on slow WAN link, I don't think there is a real difference.

Thanks AlexIT! Do you know where I can find that information from Microsoft? Technet, whitepapers, etc.?

THks.

I ran my traffic monitor and logged in on the next machine over, kinda had to guess because there is a lot of traffic with roaming profiles...sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back