Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mapped drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

martman700

IS-IT--Management
Apr 1, 2005
I have two machines (A & B). 'A' has a shared folder, 'B' maps that folder to drive 'K:'.

Is there a setting to keep 'K:' around after I log off server B?

Cause when i log off now, the drive is gone until I log on again...yes I get prompted for the network share password to reconnect...then all is fine.

Thanks.

I'm struggling to understand why you need a drive mapping to a share on another machine that's logged off to be persistant...

Can you give more details of what you're trying to achieve ??

MD

Good question MD.

Machine 'A' is a webserver that serves files from server 'B'. I need those files to always be there even after I log off the machine (it is still up, I'm just logging off).

I don't want to leave it logged on since it is a production server and don't want people passing by to have the ability to screw with anything.

My other option is to simply put a password protected screensaver on it, but was hoping I was just missing a configurable item.

Presumably then you are using IIS in some flavour. If this is the case then you don't need a mapped drive as such, just a shared folder - you can set up the home directory on IIS to point to the share rather than the mapping - this is the usual way to do it as shares are available without the machine needing to be logged in - so for example in the IIS home directory setup you just need to put in \\machineB\sharedfolder rather than k:\.

From memory (I'm not sitting at our webserver..) the option is on the first properties tab of the IIS site - it should be a radio button - saying something like files on another shared drive.

Hope this helps (and I haven't misunderstood...)

MD

MD, you have indeed not misunderstood. I tried it and IT WORKED...who would have thunk?

Thanks so much. Spent 8 hours likely on that one...

Marty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back