Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mapped drive problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jatkinson

Technical User
Nov 14, 2001
GB
I have a recurring problem on a W2K workstation. We run a logon script that maps drives to certain shared folders on the network server. It works fine for all workstations except one. On this problem workstation the following message is displayed frequently throughout the day:

An error occurred while reconnecting O: to \\server\folder

Microsoft Windows Network: The local device name is already in use.

This connection has not been restored.

When I look in My Computer the drive is listed as mapped but there is a red cross in the icon as if to say the connection isn't working. However, when I double-click on the icon I can access the drive yet the icon remains with a red cross!!

Could anyone explain why this keeps happening please?

It is possible that the workstation has had the drives mapped manually before and when the logon script runs it is trying to re-map an already manually mapped drive.

The only other time I have seen this is when there is a drive in the computer taking the drive letter of what is trying to be remapped (i.e. you have an F: drive as a CD-ROM and the login script is trying to map (F:) \\server\share).

What is the user doing when this error comes up?

Hi

The user is running a program that calls information from the mapped drive. It is basically a client/server appilcation where database information is kept on server and the mapped drive points to it.

I agree with you regarding the manual mapping of drives previously and would expect this error to occur initially after logging on and running a script, however it is happening frequently during the day so I expect it is the software extracting info from the database that may be causing the problem.

I can't understand why the mapped drive icon is crossed out though when I can double-click on it and access the folder.

I have seen a similar error before when you are not connected to the network or if you are missing your IP Address. You may want to make sure that the DHCP Server assigned an IP Address.

Good Luck

I don't know what type of software is on the computer but look at this, it sounds kind of like what you are experiencing. This is software specific resolution so if you do not have the software mentioned don't worry about it. Jatkinson is also right you need to verify network configuration.

Have you been on the errant workstation and manually disconnected drive O:? Then log on again & see what happens?

Hi guys

I don't run a DHCP server at the moment so my IP addresses are hard coded. There is a connection to the network as the user has logged in and I can access the mapped drive by double-clicking on the icon. It's just that the icon has the red cross as though it isn't connected and the error message occurs throughout the day.

I have disconnected the mapped drive manually and allowed the logon script to map the drive again. The problem still exists

Is it possible you have a bad cable/hub port/NIC and it periodically loses the connection to the server?

Hi Jatkinson.

I know this is a bit late, but I have been struggling with exactly the same problem for a couple of months.

I finally tracked it down. In the Local Area Connection properties I noticed that I had TCP/IP, NetBios, NetBui and NWLink all set up. I removed the NWLink and the problem went away.

Maybe the same in your case?

I am having the same problem that jatkinson is having. Had a hard drive go bad and when I reinstalled the software everything was fine until I installed Roxio(machine had a CD burner in it). Then all the mapped drives had red X's. I uninstall Roxio and the red X's go away.
Today I upgrade another machine to w2k with a cd burner in it and the red x's are back on this machine. I have down loaded the latest verision from Roxio and no change. I installed SP3 and no change.
I checked the LAN properties and only have tcp/ip so can't try that fix.
Very frustrating..

I have corrected the above issue by installing the Easy CD Creator Platinum version on the pc.

hi

I wanted to know if jatkinson managed to fix this problem because I am having the same.

regards

hi?

sometimes when logging off he doesnt disconnect from all of the mappings . Maybe try to /d in your script at the mapping section. Then before connecting he disconnects from the drive then reconnects.

Mike

p27br

No I still have this problem from time to time

Cheers

I am having the same problem. I have 2 machines in a Windows 2000 workgroup. I have the g: and h: drives on one computer mapped to two different folders on one another computer. The H drive is fine. the G drive keeps coming up with a red x. And like the other folks, I can double-click on it and access the contents with no problems.

However, I have an application that scans that g: drive and then moves the files out of there. The application log says g:\file does not exist.

I've tried unsharing/renaming/resharing, rebooting, disconnecting the mapped drive, remapping at logon, not remapping at login, logging in as a different user. I just recently applied SP4 and still it keeps happening.

I'm in a pinch since I need this application to work NOW! Any suggestions? I'll try anything!

Rocketbabe

Hi Rocketbabe

Try disabling the power management of the network card.
right click my network places,right click on the network card select properties,click the configure button,remove ticks relating to power management.

Also run regedit from a cmd prompt browse to this path
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters] set the autodisconect to ffff hex.

using the "net use /delete *" command clear all the mapped drives reboot and see if this fixes the problem

I have the same problem with a small network. A 3 computer peer to peer win2k network. At some point one of the computers, let say computer # 2 started having the problem with red x connecting to computer # 1. I added a win2k server, ( no domain, just file server ), and computer #2 does not have the red x problem any more; however computer #1 has the red x problem connecting to the server.
Conditions: both computer #1 and computer #2 have Roxio software version 5 latest updates. computer #3 never had the problem and does not have roxio. The biggest problem with the red x is with Word perfect version 8. When you save a file you get the windows message pop up, and if you hit ok. the file saves anyway and you continue on.
I forgot which knowledge base article it was, but I applied a reg entry that changes the time out period for offline drives on computer #2. I am going to try changing to roxio Platinum version 6 and see if it helps.

FINALLY !!!

I solved my problem by installing an update for Roxio Easy CD creator 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back