Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mapped Drive Permission problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnmac60

Technical User
Jan 14, 2003
US
I am using windows server 2003 and have mapped a folder on the server to another drive name on the server itself (we will call it W).

After I map the folder, I loose the permissions of that folder and cannot access the programs(exe) within the mapped folder. I can view the files in the mapped folder ok. If I go directly to the folder and not through the map it works fine.

This is obviously a permission/security problem, but I have not been able to figure it out.

Any Thought?

John

Are you mapping to this server remotely from another machine and are you using the domain or local credentials?
What are the permissions on the folder itself

I have tried both at the server and remotely.

Logged in with domain credentials.

Currently Administrators and Everyone has full control of the folder. Once it is working it will be administrators and a limited number of users.

John

If you can see the xxx.exe but cannot run it's sounds like a policy issue.

Compare share and NTFS permissions. Set your Share Permissions to Full Control and then do the restricting via NTFS.

Make sure that you have read and execute permissions with NTFS.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back