Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mapped drive gets access denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

guidoia

Technical User
Jul 6, 2001
US
I am having trouble with several Windows 98 workstations getting access denied from the Windows 2000 server. I believe I have the problem descibed in the Microsoft article Q278558. The client sends an invalid encrypted password information after a session has been reset.
The support fix is now available from Microsoft but they want us to pay for the support call first and then they may cancel the charges. I would like to try the fix but don't want to take the chance of spending $195 for it.

Has anyone tried this fix and where can I get the files and instructions.

Thanks,

Mark

Just curious have you run the online update for each machine. I do believe the mapped drive fix is on the update list...

I am experiencing similar problems and wondered whether you had tried the online update yet?

Thanks,

Jan

I've never been charged by Microsoft for a fix like this, even though they always threaten to. I've gotten dozens of patches this way. I'd go ahead and get it from them if the fix hasn't been released anywhere else.

I've got simialar problems. Even my boss who has admin account on server (Using 98) gets a password prompt, and no matter what he puts in there, it comes back access denied. 2000 machines don't have this problem. Microsofts site didn't say if the fix should be applied to the server or the 98 machines though. Let me know if anybody has had any luck with this. Thanks.

Are you working within the context of a domain? If not, I'm pretty sure that if you enable the Guest account, you will be able to get to the share using the Guest password when you are given that prompt.

It is a domain, and the guest account is dis-abled. I do have users who can log on, others who could and then couldn't and some who never could. Actually trying to map drives - \\server2\d$. This is the only drive on 3 seperate 2000 servers that's causing problems. All 2000 pro machines have no problem. Strange. Thanks though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back