Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MAPI Controls in Microsoft Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

AXISPNOC

IS-IT--Management
Jun 11, 2003
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. Here is my scenario. I would like to be able to retrieve email from an Access database. I am running a small ISP, and would like email sent to our support email to be pulled off the mail server and stored in an Access Database. Here is the kicker. I would like each message that is retrieved from the mailbox to be assigned a unique ID number, and then I would like Access to generate an email message and append that ID to the Senders subject line, then send that message back to the Sender letting them know we have received their message and here is the tracking number for your reference. I see this done all the time on the net. I have asked a number of companies that are able to do this how they did it, and most of them answered that it was something programmed internally, and was specific to their company. I know I am asking a lot, and maybe what I want can't be done using Access, just give it to me straight, and if you can think of a better solution, I am all ears. Right now I have the support messages being sent to a Microsoft Exchange Server Public folder, this works okay, but it's a real pain to try and track down a message.

OK, a few questions for you:
Do you need to have the replys sent immediately or would it be OK to open up the database & press a button once a day (or whatever)? I'm not saying it can't be done another way - just I don't know how to :)
Which e-mail client are you using & is this your default client?
How confident/experienced are you in Access?

Sharon

Sharon, thanks for the input. I would like the email to be sent instantly so the Sender would have instant notification that their message had been received by our Tech Support Group. I can use a number of different clients from Outlook 98 through 2003. My experience level is in Network Operations, however I have co-written numerous enterprise level Access databases for the Military. I am well versed in all aspects of Access, however my SQL is a little rusty ;-)

Because you're needing the mail to be sent immediately you're going to have to do some programming on the Outlook end, which is something I've never tried, I'd imagine there'd be something on it in the MS Knowledge Base though. I wouldn't have thought you'd need to do to much work that end, just enough to open /activate your db & let it know there's a new mail. You can then use MAPI objects to pull out the sender, e-mail body, etc. and MAPI, or just SendObject to mail back to your user. I can help you out with that bit, but you'll need the Outlook end working first!

Sharon

Okay Sharon, I will do my part. Will do some research on the Outlook end, and get back to you. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. - jR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back