Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Map vs quering DB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nirajj

Programmer
Mar 12, 2003
US
Hi all,

The program that I am working on requires that each employee's value be checked against a table.

The 2 different approaches that I have in mind are...
1) Pull up values for all the employees ahead of time and store in a HashMap. (about 12000 employees)
2) Query the DB each employee at a time.

I am using the 1st method. Populate the HashMap and lookup value for each employee in the HashMap.

But I was wondering which method would give me better performance in terms of memory and execution? Any idea?

Any other ways to code that in?

All inputs most welcome... Thanks!

If you're plannig to check all values, I think the most efficient way is a stored procedure.

Cheers,
Dian

Diancecht,

Unfortunately the type of work I am doing, I am not allowed to add any objects in the DB. That violates the contract.

So the only solution I have is through the java.

I think i'd rather do a large query than 12000 small ones.
You you narrow it down to a query, you'll be doing only one connection to the DB. Meanwhile, if you do 12000 ones, it'll be kind of like "spamming" the DB.

At least that's what i think.

That strongly depends on the JDBC driver and the way you manage the created connections.

If you're plannig to check all values in a row, then I'd consider taking all data but if you're doing one at a time ...

Cheers,
Dian

I tried both the ways and I was able to cut 20 secs off the total processing by pulling up all the data beforehand than single query for each employee.
Thanks for all the inputs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back