Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Map Structure not Recognizing Repeat Keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

sph147

Programmer
May 17, 2004
US
I'm using a bunch of layed maps to try and store information about some network traffic in a packet sniffing application. For example if I have 4 packets going from 192.1.1.1 from port 1 to 255.255.255.255 port 2 the structure should store the IPs and Ports as Keys and the data should be the frequency

[192.1.1.1, [ 1, [ 255.255.255.255, [ 2 , 4]]]]

would be a good representation of how it should be stored.
Yet when I look at the data, I'll get the same IP's and ports 4 times all with a last field (the number of packets) as 1. I'm not sure if its not recognizing the old keys or what is going wrong. Here is a sample of some of the code.

definition of the map
map <u_char*, map<int, map<u_char*, map<int, int> > > > total_map;

storing to the map
hbkt.total_map[inip][inport][outip][outport] = hbkt.total_map[inip][inport][outip][outport] + 1;

If anyone has any ideas that'd be great. I'm not sure if I'm using the map wrong or if its my logic. Or even if someone has a better idea for storing all this information. Thanks alot, always appreciated.

If you use u_char* as key the map won't make any string comparisons when it fiddles with its items, but address comparisons instead.

Code:
const char* foo1 = "Foo";
const char* foo2 = "Foo";
// foo1 != foo2

Use std::string or std::wstring as key type instead.

/Per
[sub]
www.perfnurt.se[/sub]

or you can overload the == and != operators for const char*(u_char*) comparison and use the existing code.

HTH

s-)

Blessed is he who in the name of justice and goodwill, sheperds the weak through the valley of darkness...

sorry about the above post. I forgot that the compiler does not allow operator overloading for simple types.
For example the MS VC++ compiler will complain with this error:

error C2803: 'operator ==' must have at least one formal parameter of class type

therefore you must wraap everything in some container. wstring or string from std are ok, as PerFnurt says.

s-)

Blessed is he who in the name of justice and goodwill, sheperds the weak through the valley of darkness...

I would think string/wstring is the best choice. However, you could write your won comparison function for u_char* and add it to the type of the map that uses it for a key.

By the way, I would use
Code:
++(hbkt.total_map[inip][inport][outip][outport]); // or
hbkt.total_map[inip][inport][outip][outport] += 1;
to increment the value to avoid two sets of lookups.

Ok, I see what everyone is saying. So I'm converting about a million things over to using strings now, but I still have to retrieve information in u_char* form. Any easy way to put the info in a u_char* to a string?

Any reason you're using u_char rather than regular char?

Code:
char* foo = "foo";
std::string sFoo = foo; // char* to std::string

/Per
[sub]
www.perfnurt.se[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back