Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Map Solaris volume to an NT share??

Status
Not open for further replies.

calcamco

IS-IT--Management
Nov 16, 2000
US
Is there a way to map or create a volume in Solaris that actually resides on an NT server? I am using NFS to do the opposite direction.

Not quite sure what you want to do, but have you tried samba? A package to give Win & NT users access to volumes on *nix systems.
~Mike

I am reading on Samba first impressions are good.

We run Oracle on Solaris and are creating an image (.jpg) retrieval system that can track individual documents that relate to a specific subject. We then can use Oracle to produce a package pertaining to a specific subject and give the ability to print the package.

The cost of storage for Sun is much higher than utilizing windows based systems. We need the ability of the Solaris OS to be able to retreive and display/print images as if they were local. FTP would complicate the process.

Would appreciate any additional ideas.

Thanks

I guess samba might do the job, but there are also NFS-servers for Windows NT. I'm not sure how they compare performance-wise, though.

However, if the cost of storage is an issue, why not use 'cheap' Intel-based PC's and run a free *nix dialect, such as Linux or a BSD-derivative. Then you still run Unix on both environments, and have bultin NFS-support, telnet et al. Use a journaling filesystem such as jfs (from IBM) or xfs (originally from SGI, I believe), and partition size & file-handling will be a non-issue.

If I'm not misinformed, SUN actually has endorsed Linux - which could be beneficial in this case.

Rgds.

We ran desperately short of disk space on a solaris system and setup an old PC running linux with 2 x 70Gb drives and nfs mounted them. System worked fine and has been for months now. You can still run backups on the solaris system to back up the mounted partitians.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back