Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Map network drive gets disconnected

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpsait

Technical User
Oct 7, 2010
ZA
I have an external HDD connected to a Windows 2008 server which I share in a domain environment. I can map a drive successfully to that external hard drive, but it gets removed after reboot.

I would suspect group policy as the cause. gpresult might reveal the source of the problem

The problem is that all my other map network drives shows up every time, except for this mapping to an external drive.

Red X on Mapped Drive in Windows 7 and Windows Vista [SOLVED]

What about this Group Policy?

The policy "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon" is found:
Computer Configuration/ Administrative Templates/ System/ Logon

Mapped network drive is connected but shows as not connected

In my case the map network drive gets removed completely. No Red X. We are not running any login scripts.

Might have something to do with it being an external drive, is it USB? It may be going to sleep,low power mode, and when the other machines boot up, they just don't see it.

Nothing is the logs.Yes it is USB.

I need to have the USB drive connected to a server in order to do Backup Exec backups.

Any feedback from anyone how to fix this?

Do these mentioned Registry locations exist (in Windows 7) and look correct, and are the access permissions suitable?

Mapped Drive Connection to Network Share May Be Lost

Mapped Drive Connection to Network Share May Be Lost

Persistent Connections

SaveConnections

Removing or Adding Items to Your Persistent Connections List

Anything in these semi related posts?

Mapped network drive is connected but shows as not connected

Could not reconnect all network drives

More feedback. The external hard drive is a WD My Book. I have also tried a different external HDD without any luck. The USB WD drive is connected to a HP Proliant server running Windows 2008 Server. I have also tried a different server.
We have a mix of Windows XP and 7 users and this happens to all of them. I have also updated the WD drivers on the server and have checked the power settings on the server. If I go Start - Run and use the UNC name the share comes up and I can map a drive, but as soon as the users reboot their device Windows drops the map drive.
I'm looking at the previous post for more details, but I dont believe it is a user setting (Windows).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back