Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Map Network Drive folder list empty

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonU

MIS
Jan 31, 2002
CA
In XP, when I map a drive to a specific path, then disconnect it and later want to connect it again I can select the path from the folder drop down under "Map Network Drive". When I do this in Vista it does not retain the previous path(s).

Is there a way to turn on this functionality in Vista?

Open a command prompt and type: net use Does it tell you that connections will or will not be remembered?

The settings are that connections WILL be remembered, but this I beleive controls whether the system will try to automatically recreate prior connections and I don't want it to do that.

I just want the path to show in the dropdown so the user can select it when required as it is a drive that will not normally be available to him.

You're right, that's is what 'will be remembered' really does. I was just wondering if it might be affecting what you're seeing, even though it doesn't seem to on mine. The only other thing that comes to mind is the various MRU lists - and more specifically, the utilities that empty them. Do you run CCleaner or any other history deleting tool?

No.

I was wondering if it might be a policy or registry setting that I haven't found yet.

Unfortunately no.

This is still dealing with retaining previous drive mappings. I'm only trying to get the ones they have mapped previously to appear in the dropdown so they can reselect it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back