Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

map drive to location in a DIFFERENT network

Status
Not open for further replies.

xp

Technical User
Jul 19, 2001
Is it possible to map a network drive to a folder in a different network or subnet?
if so, how?

Thanks for your responses.

I'm not completely sure, but I think it is not possible. With NT- and W2K -machines you can do that, but of course you have to have sufficient rights to the other network.

If you can access said folder from your machine (ie, visible in network neighborhood, explorer) you should be able to map it. Not entirely sure what you mean by 'different network'. Presume this different network has some sort of connection to whatever network you're connected to (IP forwarding?) or the whole thing is impossible.

by different network, I mean connected by routers, or on the same physical network, but a different subnet. I can access another network using http or ftp, but I want to know if I can map a network drive, or not as the case may be. Thanks.

Yes this is definately possible. As long as the sites trusts are set up correctly you can. From the resource you need to trust the site you are trying to access the share from. Since you are on different subnets you obviously will not be able to browse to the share so you must map the exact path. On the domain controller of the resource site you must create a local group and add the user/s from the different site to a global group and add that global group to the local group. Sorry if my answer seems confusing. If I need to explain better let me know. -Brad
A+, MCSE NT4, MCDBA SQL7

-Best cartoon of all time :-D 'Spongebob Squarepants' :-D

You should be able to, but you need to map the drive and include a user and password of a user that has permission to that domain, and a route to get there. If you can ping it then you should be able to map the drive.
net use R:\\servername\share password /user:username

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back