Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Map an Application drive to Terminal users

Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincrunch00

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2004
US
Hi there,

I've got a server that was built before I started working... I dont exactly like the way it was set up, but that's probably not the problem.

I want to do a few things with this server for the users that log into it and I plan on using 2003 group policy for it.

I want to hide/disallow access to all of the drives in My Computer, except for the P (Public) and H (Application) drives.

Now, the best part about this server and the way it is set up is that the second partition is drive letter E.

In Group Policy it says "Deny access to A, B, C, and D" or "Deny All" or "Deny Nothing".
There is also one for "Hide access to..." and the same options.

How can I still map them the H drive (tried a login script of: net use h: \\server\apps) while keeping the C and E drives hush hush?

I cant even get the H drive to map anymore when I am using group policy and have the "Deny all drives" disabled.

I can post my group policy that is enforced for those users. I have been changing things left and right so I dont know

Man, I wish I could edit.

The last sentance should be: I can post my group policy that is enforced for those users. I have been changing things left and right so I dont know how much of a mess it is at this time.

Have a look at this:

Changing the System.adm file allows you to modify exactly what drives (in any combination) to hide/restrict. This will then appear in the GP drop down list.

You just need a very basic understanding of binary.

I have modified the adm files at a few sites, for example, at one site, access is restricted to drives C, E and G but F (a network user drive is the only one viewable/accesible.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back