Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Map a COM port to synch. (it worked the first time...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tina2

IS-IT--Management
May 1, 2001
US
I have 3 users who have handheld devices (HP Jornada), and I would like them to be able to synch with their Outlook folders in MetaFrame. I was able to map the Com port with net use in the logon script, and use Active synch to sychronize the first user. ONCE...

When I tried it with the second user, Active Synch could not find her Com port. When the first user (who had been sucessful) tried it again, the same thing happened to him.

Does this not work for multiple users? [sadeyes]
Any suggestions?

Kristine

I had sort of this problem...had COM port mapping working and transmitting data then all of a sudden...bang, it stopped. Not sure what caused it but made it so the user could get to a cmd prompt, did 'net use' and I could see the COM port was actually mapping but not allowing data to be passed. Eventually solved it by allowing user CMD/DOS access by altering the group policy (note: that's NOT access to START-->RUN) and ...hey presto! Data started flowing!

OK...
KAlfred asked the right question. After looking at the Ctrix KB, I created a batch file for each user on their desktops. the first user maps com1 to client com1, the second user maps com2 to client com1 and so on...

Users 2 & 3 have given up on trying, so user1 is the only one who is actively using it.

User number 1 is only able to synch on weekends and evenings (i.e. when others are looged out) I cant seem to figure out who else is still mapping to com1...

The other 2 users are definitely NOT mapping to com1.
Is there a way in Windows 2000 Active Directory MF 8.1 to see all mappings for all users???

Any ideas???
Kristine

We were able to map all users to com4 using the net use command. I believe the command was something like this:
net use com4 \\client\%clientname%\com1: /persistent:yes

We never had any problems with multiple people using this at the same time. By doing it like this with the persistent switch, you only have to run once and not at every logon also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back