Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Many to many relationships

Status
Not open for further replies.

brlissab

Technical User
Oct 11, 2002
CH
Hello everybody.
Actually quite newbie with access, i'm a litlle confucious with many to many relationship.
So in my case i have a table with various machines. These machines have many overhauling tasks. In the otherside, have the overhauling table table. These operations are (sometimes) the same for various machines. So, i made a 1 to many from the machineID (primary key) from the machine table to machineID (foreign key) of the overhauling tasks table. Then a make the same think, 1 to many from overhauling table to the machine table. Actually have a machine table duplicated (read that was normal) but i'm confucious about where a put the data....??!
To resume my confusion, i would like to have machineID has overhauling operations (OPID) 1 and 2 and 3 etc etc. And also OPID 1 has machineID 1 and 4 and 7 etc etc...
Could some frindly soul give me a little assistance?
Best regards

You need a junction table like:
[tt]
tblMachineTasks
================
matMaTID autonumber primary key
matMachineID links to tblMachines.MachineID
matOPID links to tblOverhaulingTasks.OPID
matComments possible field
[/tt]
Any editing of machine overhauling tasks should be performed in this table.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Tanks for your advice Duane :)
I have evolueated the table, cause operations are also subjected to elements groups (hydraulic, pneumatic...), also these elements are subjected to frequency periods, and also to maintenance bodis (operator, technician, etc) and also overhauling places (workshop, in station...).
All these tables, i have attached them to the operations tables but can i have your advice if i must link them to the junction table?
Also gonna also put many languages for the overhauling elements, at least 6, and also for the others tables i gonna traduce them also:)
Is it better to create independent tables for the languages or just add some more columns on existant tables and then i select the language on the request?

matbd1311.png

here is the table:)

indeed i was not very clear. To make me understand the overhauling tasks are subjected to periods (one month tasks have opid 1, 2, 3, 45, 87 etc etc. 3 months another overhauling tasks, etc etc). Also, these overhauling tasks have differents overhauling locations (workshop tasks have tasks 1, 4, 5 etc and working place have task like 45, 56 etc).
Also overhauling tasks are subjected to different maintenance bodies (operator must do overhauling task like 1, 2, 3, 45, 67 etc. Technician must do task 2, 5, 7, 90 etc).
Also the overhauling tasks are also subjected to differents overhauling bodies (operator, technician, engineer...).
And also the overhauling tasks have different elements who are attached to different groups. So you've got for example tamping units and clamps who belongs to mechanical group. Either you've also a hydraulical groups who have hoses, cooler, etc etc.
After some tries think i've got a model who seems to works. So actually i have the table overhauling tasks and the following tables are linked to it. Elements groups, elements, overhauling periods, overhauling places, overhauling bodies.
To go further, now i would like to have all this stuff in other languages. To achive this task may i reproduce all these tables in another languages or in the existing tables must i add columns with the respective language?
Thank u for ure advices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back