Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Many of my folders/files became inaccessible, I'm not permitted :( 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

javierdlm001

Technical User
Jun 28, 2008
CA
Take for instance this image file. When trying to open it I get this:
Code:
"It looks like you don't have permission to view this file. Check the permissions and try again."

Then I go to the Properties, Security tab, Advanced, Permissions:
Code:
"You must have Read permissions to view the properties of this object. Click Continue to attempt the operation with administrative permissions."

Then I click Continue:
Code:
"You do not have permission to view this object's security properties, even as an administrative user.
To try taking ownership of the object, which includes permission to view its properties, click Change above."

So I click in "Change", then in the next window, under "Enter the object name to select:", I enter the email address I am using to login to this pc, and hit the "Check Names" button, and the OK button. I try to open that file again, to no avail. It is still telling me that I don't have the permissions to see it.
I know this has to do with recent Windows 10 updates, because these are files I have had for over 10 years now, and I never had a problem backing them up. Until now, all of a sudden they are not my files. Go figure!
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance guys

filewinprops_gl4eg2.jpg

The MS Installation Key Number is under my name, same as the bill for the computer. I am the only Administrator.
There's 2 other accounts (Unknown), I have no idea about them. Unless they are my wife's and daughter's accounts.
The last one helps Windows Media Player to share its library with network.
By the way, my account at the top, was not here in this list before. I had to manually enter it.

My first thought was that your files have been encrypted but seeing the "Account Unknown" entries makes be think your registry is corrupt. Not a trivial fix. Can you create a new administrator user? If so, use that account to backup your system, delete your old login, and then recreate it.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

Hi 2ffat,
I'll do that.
Will it matter if the new account is one without MS email address?

clam1952 from Ten Forums was saying that in some cases accessing a Windows drive using Linux can cause permissions issues. And it so happens that I have done that (I have a dual boot system).

In Win 7, yes. The usual method is to make a good backup of the user files, delete that user (sometimes this is difficult if the registry is badly thrashed), recreate the user exactly, then copy all files over from the back up EXCEPT for the *.dat files that make up the registry. This would get me about 95% of my data and programs over. There are several sites that tell you how to fix users with a corrupt registry.

If the new user is not exactly the same as the original I suspect that it will take more work to get the data and programs to sync correctly. You may have to reinstall more programs. Of course, anything can happen.

Disclaimer: I have not done this in Win10. Only on Win 7 machines.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back