Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Many Long Hours Spent But Can't Print

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hello, I'm desperate here. I've spent the last 5 hours attempting to be able to print from FoxPro 2.6a. Could anyone bring some relief to me? =)

Okay, here's the deal. I'd been told by my bosses and coworkers that Win 2000 and XP wouldn't run FoxPro. Not believing that, I looked into it and fixed the problem in a jiffy. Before, FoxPro wouldn't even start on our 2000/XP machines. After applying the 2.6 to 2.6a patch and the "Divide by Zero" patch, the program starts up and works beautifully. Now there's just one problem: printing.

While I can now get into the program, I can't print. We are running a NetWare 5.1 network with pure NDPS printing (no legacy queues). I'm running FoxPro 2.6a on Windows XP. Whenever I go to print in FoxPro, the print bar comes up and goes across the screen. But then nothing happens.

I've tried printing to Adobe PDFMaker. I've tried printing to a file. I've done it directly to NDPS printers. I've tried it through sharing printers on other XP workstations via file and print sharing for MS networks. In FoxPro, I can use the "Print Setup" box to select any printer I've installed. But still, when I actually go to print. Nothing happens. The print status bar finishes okay, but nada occurs. Not even an error.

Does anyone have any idea what to do?

Blessed be your name if you can help me figure this out!

Jackson

P.S. If you reply, could you also email me your response at jax@byu.edu. Thanks so much!

Hi JaxStephens,

Are you using a local printer or a network printer?
Which printer you're using , make sure that the latest driver of the printer is installed.

Also please check is it possible to print from command prompt (DOS). FOxpro normaly print with out any problem if DOS mode print (Capture LPT1) is active.

The following tip I got from this FOrum is usefull to trobleshoot Foxpro Print under windows .

Edit the system.ini file (windows directory)
Locate [386enh] section
and add the following lines after the [386enh] section

[NetWork]
PrintBufTime = 5

[IFSMGR]
PrintBufTime = 5
--------------------------

Regards

Santhosh
santhu@sapo.com

Hi, Santhosh!

You wrote:

> Are you using a local printer or a
> network printer?

It's a network printer. Part of the problem, I think, is that the printer is setup using Novell Distributed Print Services (NDPS), which supposedly is hard to capture to LPT1 in Win 2000/XP. The old Novell system was with print queues, and supposedly that is easier.

Still, the fact that I can't get the NDPS network printers we have to work with doesn't explain why I can't also get FoxPro to print to a file or to Adobe PDFWriter captured to LPT1.

> Which printer you're using , make
> sure that the latest driver of the
> printer is installed.

I think I'm okay on this point, but I can check.

> Also please check is it possible to print from
> command prompt (DOS). FOxpro normaly print
> with out any problem if DOS mode print
> (Capture LPT1) is active.

I'll have to check that one. I have used the "net use lpt1: \\Pandora\472CPrinter" command. The procedure seems to work, but in FoxPro's "Print Setup" box, the capture doesn't show up for me to be able to choose it.

> Edit the system.ini file (windows directory)

I'll also have to check this one. Will it make as much difference since we're talking about Win XP, though?

Anyway, I guess the whole point that I don't understand is this: How do you get FoxPro 2.6a (FOXPROW.EXE) to print in Windows 2000 and XP? It has that "Print Setup" choice in the File menu, but it doesn't seem to work. In the end, FoxPro seems to want to print to LPT1 only. Am I right? On our network's Win 9x machines, we always have to capture the NDPS printers to LPT1 to get FoxPro to print.

Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated. We are having to install cruddy Win 98 on brand-new Dell computers because of FoxPro, and that's a shame. :-D

Jackson

First, I wouldn't blame it on FoxPro OR XP, I'm successfully using both daily on a mixed Novell 5.1, MS Win2000 network, although we don't use NDPS printers. I think the "blame" belongs to those that think you can upgrade hardware, OS's, NOS and expect that 10 year old software will work without any testing or changes. Have they considered upgrading to VFP?

Rick

Did you ever figure this out? If so, I would like to know - I have the same problem.

hvc,
There have been a number of updated netware clients in the last year (plus), not to mention service packs (and a number of hoxfixes) for both XP and 2000.

Perhaps you could be a bit clearer on your exact setup (OS, SP level, Novell server version, netware client version, FP type and version and patch level, etc.) and the specific problem you are experiencing.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back