Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

manually start windows updates form WSUS server

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschons

Technical User
Sep 24, 2002
CH
Hello together

The windows updates work fine with the wsus server, but I have still one problem.
We have some test computer where we play back an ghost image for testing. For some test I would like to get all the windows update. How can I get manually all the updates from our wsus server? Or even better, is there a possibility, that I can go to the Microsoft update website, select all the update, and just download this updates from the Microsoft site, that are not already downloaded from the wsus server and get the others directly from our server?
Thanks for the help.
Best regards, tschons

I dont exactly know what your asking. From what I can gather, you have a ghost image (I would assume of a client OS, maybe XP Pro) that you would like to receive updates from WSUS. If you have GP set up it should pull down the updates auto-magically.

Thanks for the fast answer. You almost understood me correct. I know the possibility with the GP.
Our ghost image is for example a windows xp sp2. Now we don't need the same windows updates for each test. I would like to have the possibility to decide for each test, which windows update I would like to install.
Of course I can go to the Microsoft windows update site and just download the update I need. But then I always have a lot of traffic and have to wait a long time.
I hope I could explain now my problem a little bit better.

We also have some Computers not in a Domain, but would like to get all the windows updates from our WSUS server. How could I make this? any Ideas?

Thanks for the help.

In WSUS you can create Groups to which clients belong.

You can then change the behaviour by approving or declining specific updates for that group.

You will however still have to wait for the cycle, but you could set it to an hour and logon as an admin to install the updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back