Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Manually setting up static routing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttreaders

Technical User
Mar 14, 2008
GB
Hi everyone, wasn't sure what forum to post this in, I hope this is the correct one.

I am trying to get to the stage where I can take my CCNA exam. I am being taught from scratch from my girlfriends dad who has his own business teaching other companies, so far he has helped me setup a basic network (diagram attached) and now he wants me to setup routing tables so that the routers can communicate over telnet etc - I have no idea how to do this, only what I have read from free online tutorials which are very confusing.

I gave it a go though and started at Router 1 by entering - enable, conf t, ip route 172.16.15.4 255.255.255.252 10.0.0.2. I then procedded to Router 2 and told it about Router 3 etc.. is this the correct way to do it?

Sorry I know this is extremely basic but any tips would be very welcome.

Thanks

]
ciscorouterdiagramnb7.th.jpg

Sorry, I messed up the attachment so have posted the link for the diagram again - can't see any edit button.

ttreaders,

You said - "and now he wants me to setup routing tables so that the routers can communicate over telnet etc "

You are really mixing a lot of terms here - routers do not communicate over "telnet" , YOU can communicate with routers by telnet! You DO NOT set up "routing tables" you setup a dynamic routing protocal such as RIP or EIGRP or you setup static routes - this puts route infomation into the "routing table". YOU NEED TO UNDERTAND THE TERNMONOLOGY!!!!

I think the BEST thing you can do is get a good book, here is the BEST -
CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide, 6th Edition (Exam 640-802)
Todd Lammle
Sybex, Paperback, 6th Bk&CD edition,
Published August 2007, 1008 pages, ISBN 0470110082
List Price: $49.99
Our Price: $30.95
You Save: $19.04 (38% Off)

This was from
If you can not invest $30 in what you are trying to do ..... then :-(

FREE stuff is great - invest in yourself so that you get a good foundation - this book will help!

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Example...

R1------------R2

R1=10.1.1.1 255.255.255.252
R2=10.2.2.1 255.255.255.252

R1>en
R1#conf t
R1(config)#ip route 10.2.2.0 255.255.255.252 10.1.1.1
R1(config)#end
R1#wr

R2>en
R2#conf t
R2(config)#ip route 10.1.1.0 255.255.255.252 10.2.2.1
R2(config)#end
R2#wr

Burt

On a side note, why don't you ask your girlfriends dad for help?

I think the dad is trying to teach him...I would strongly suggest getting him to pay for Cisco Academy CCNA 1 through 4...it's only like $720 altogether where I am at the community college...

Burt

Yes, but you learn by example and direction. Not by being handed a stack of gear and having at it.

That is absolutely true, and I think Gene always gives very good advice when it comes to this particular forum. He hit the nail on the head with this statement...
"
If you can not invest $30 in what you are trying to do ..... then sad"

Burt

lol...the "sad" thing didn't post right...
"Not by being handed a stack of gear and having at it."

Trial by Fire!

Burt

I agree with Burt on the Cisco Network Academy route !!!

At a community college these classes can run less then $200 each! In most case he would get tons of hands on as well as many good lectures!

The VERY least you need to get a GOOD CCNA book and read it as you do the hands on labs! Understanding and speaking the "lingo" is as important as being able to configure the routers :)

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda

Thankyou for all your replies. I know I am at the very early stages of learning networking and it must be frustrating in a way to try and help someone that knows so little.

My girlfriends dad is going to go through it with me but he's very busy with his business so it could be sometime before that happens so I thought I would try and work it out for myself. I have a few books on the subject but they are a little too advanced for me to understand properly.

Does anyone know of any good online walkthroughs?

Thanks

ttreaders,

Since the books you do have are too advanced - "I have a few books on the subject but they are a little too advanced for me to understand properly."

The book I listed above by Todd Lammle would help you more then you could know! He has been doing this book (6th edition now) since the CCNA came out! It will lay out all that you need to understand!

If you do not learn the basics and the termonolgy, you will have a very hard time as more advanced topics are introduced!

If you have a Barnes and Nobles or Borders Books near you - just grab the book off the shelf and plop down in one of the big chairs they provide and READ IT !!!

INVEST $30 in yourself :) EVERYTHING DOES NOT HAVE TO BE FREE!!!!

Just some thoughts!

E.A. Broda

Thanks Ciscoguy, I have just ordered that book from amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back