Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Manually restore registry in Win98 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBentl

Technical User
Jan 6, 2003
CA
I wish to restore the registry using the one that Win98 automatically saves daily. Regchechecker does not detect a problem with the current, but the current is a backup from March, which I restored using my PB master recovery disk. The PB utility won't help me access the Windows back up that I need. I need the one from 2 days ago. Anyone know how I can select that one to perform the restore using Windows or DOS?

in DOS mode, type SCANREG /RESTORE

kilroy [trooper]
philippines

"Illegitimis non carborundum!"

just to add a little;
Press and hold the CTRL key at the end of POST (boot up)...and the Win98 STartup Menu will appear...select Command Prompt Only, then type the command above stated by torturedmind and hit Enter

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

That was easy! Thanks for the info. I really should have known this, figured it could be done using scanreg, but didn't know the /switch to use to access the exact date that I wanted.

Thanks again.

Later.
PB

you got it!
[rockband]

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

thanks for the star. as additional, you can inquire most DOS commands' switches using the /? switch. for example, in DOS mode, you can type these:

Code:
COPY /?
XCOPY /?
SCANREG /?
DIR /?
FORMAT /?
and so on...

kilroy [trooper]
philippines

"Illegitimis non carborundum!"

Status
Not open for further replies.