Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Manually force system into LSP Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

edinburger

IS-IT--Management
Apr 28, 2004
GB
Does anybody know of a command that can manually force a system into LSP mode???

Many thanks

I usually get our Netowrk manager to put a route into the network config to stop traffic from the remote site to the main office. When this is done the remote sites then falls over onto the LSP. I'm not sure exactly what he does but this is very effective and take minutes.

You could change the default route on the G700, so the processor can't communicate with the rest of the network.

telnet into the MGP and remove the primary mgc list controller. then reset the mgp. the mgp will register with the local processor

show mgc list
set mgc list xxxxx
clear mgc list xxxxx
reset mgp

to sjforcum: if you change the ip route to an invalid value all the ip phones will not work anymore in most cases....

Thanks for all the replies, I didn't think there was a specific ACM command to do this.

I have a customer who is having network problems and wanted to drop into LSP mode manually before their network guys started playing around on the network. They thought if they manually done this it would be less disruptive to the end users.

Thanks anyway.

The post about the MGC list is the best....didn't think about it myself...

That won't work, if the 8300 is not active then the gateway will be unable to register.

The 8300 needs to "lose" the primary processor and go active. At the same time (usually, given a WAN outage) the gateway will also lose the primary and start looking for an LSP.

if the only ip address in the mgc list is the lsp(S8300) the mgp will register there in my opinion. if you leave the mgc list empty the mgp can not register at all

Use the KISS theory-pull the IP connection/connections.
Works like a charm.
Not a command,but very effective.

If you pull the IP connections from the gateway your IP Phones won't work.

The best suggestion I've seen is to modify the MGC list, although I didn't read the post clearly enough before throwing my ring into that circle.

1) Show mgc list - Write down the IP's listed
2) Clear MGC List
3) Set MGC LIST xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (LSP Address ONLY)
4) Reset MGP
5) Your gateway is now in LSP mode, however any IP Phones will still register to your main site, since at that moment they can still talk to the main site.

Once you're finished with your WAN maintenance to set everything back:

1) Clear MGC List
2) Set mgc list xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (and all other IP's from step 1 in the original order)
3) Reset mgp

I just did this for a client this weekend....

Good luck!

No, the S8300 will not accept the MGP's registration at this point. The S8300 will have never lost the primary controller and will not be active.
It will not accept IP Phones or Gateway registrations unless it is active. To do that you have to take down the WAN link and cause the keepalives to and from the primary server to die.

What?

I did this exact process this weekend and it worked without issue.

SJF

To Test LSP Mode-

If Digital or analog sets- disconnect Ethernet cable to Ext 1- link goes down LSP takes over.

IF IP phones- have customer disable WAN network connection to clan- block all traffic to and from clan port.

If customer CAN NOT take WAN down- change MGC list to include lsp/s8300 ip address as ONLY choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back