Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Manual recycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukshug1

Technical User
Dec 12, 2000
DE
Is it possible to set a volume to manual recycle from the command line

Save -e only seems to work at the time they are created. I would like to change old volumes to manual recycle

Hello,

Manual recycle and expiration date are two differnt attributes. Manual recycle will keep a tape from being automatically overwritten till you recycle it. Setting an expiration on a tape is typically used to see "the lifetime" of a tape. Legato sets a default of two years when it first lables a tape. Dlt's that are used heavily (writtern read, erased, written eread erased...)start to fault out around the 2.5 year mark...What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

use nsrmm -o recycleable "volumename"

That will set the volume to recycleable mode

What I would like to do is to clone a daily backup but have a different retention period for the clone volumes. As this is not possible when they are put back in the library they need to be set to recycle or relabeled. When this is done the original save save sets that were on the clone volume would also be recycled or lost from the database. It should be possible to stop this by setting the original volumes to manual recycle, relabling the clone volume and then reset the original volume to auto clone What I want to do is automate this therfore need to set a volume to manual recycle from the command prompt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back