Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Manual 5.0.4 DST Fix? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8bak

Technical User
Aug 16, 2004
US
SCO has decided to leave 5.0.4 users high and dry when it comes to the DST update for 2007. Since upgrading is not an option for our company, my thought is that I can "fix" this problem with a simple date command. What I am wondering is if there is a way to manually control the DST with some sort of config file? Thanks in advance!

~N8

"Be not afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon `em." - Twelfth Night, II:5

In the man M environ page have a look at the TZ environment variable.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Thanks for the response PHV. I was looking for something to actually change the dates for the DST switch. According to SCO's Knowledge Center, the 5.0.7 MP5 "install a new version of the libc runtime library that calculates DST correctly for year 2006, 2007 and beyond". To that point can't I just update the libc files that are used to calculate DST?

~N8

"Be not afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon `em." - Twelfth Night, II:5

N8bak,

I would not "just update the libc files" they are used by so many other programs on you system that the whole system may stop functioning.

Have you tried:

you can try setting the timezone variable to
TZ=EST5EDT,M3.2.0/2,M11.1.0/2

substitute your local timezone.
this is set in /etc/TIMEZONE

fm stanhubble

Test it out by chaning the date and time on your system to Mar 11 11:57 PM and watch to see if the time changes.

Post your results for all to read.

Thanks.

stew

With 5.0.5 the steps and results worked out as:
working as root
/etc/tz
n for not in North America
ST abbreviation for my standard time zone
5 hours west of GMT
y for summer time
DT abbreviation for my daylight time
2 choose m/w/d version
3.2.0 conversion date month,week,day of week (periods)
2 conversion time
2 m/w/d version
11.1.0 1st Sunday in November
2 AM

This modifies the entry in TIMEZONE to:
TZ=ST5DT,M3.2.0,m11.1.0

rebooting makes it active

I changed the abbreviations so I know that I have my mods in place.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Just to add to the mix (and this seems like a good place):
Does anybody have first-hand experience using "ntpd" or "nptdate" commands to sync the clock to an outside source? I tried this command on a 5.0.7 box and it appears to work:

# ntpdate -u 69.31.13.15

That IP references a pool of servers in North America (my home continent). I tried manually setting the clock ahead about an hour, then let CRON run the ntpdate command and the clock was correct afterwards. There is some mention in the MAN pages that if the difference is greater than 1000 seconds, no change will take place. Obviously that won't work to adjust an entire hour, yet my test box corrected itself regardless.

Just wondered if this might be an alternative.

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

no its not an alternative.

ntp syncs your time with reference to GMT

your local timezone settings then display things relative to this value.

Just came accross this site this morning. IVESSM's TZ tweak in /etc/timezone worked great on SCO 5.0.4Eb. One less thing to worry about.

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back