Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Manner of logins/connections to SQLS 7 in Enterprise Mgr

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamcall

Programmer
Aug 23, 2000
GB
Hi,
At the moment, we seem to have only 2 ways of connecting to SQL Server 7 (running on NT 4):

1 - We log in with no password supplied & then have to supply a password each time we wish to do anything in any of the databases.

2 - We log in with password already supplied & don't have to supply a password for any subsequest database activity.

What we would like (& can't work out why we cant seem to work it so we can), is to have to supply the password for the user _once_ when establishing the connection, & then not have to for any further activities. We have given this more than a cursory look, b.t.w....

Regards,
GAM [sig][/sig]

GAM, when you are logging in (which I can't imagine you could do without a password), what client are you using (for example, a VB app)? Are you using ODBC?

Unless your client software is wacky, there shouldn't be any reason why you can't open a persistent ODBC connection and keep it connected for some time. [sig]<p>Robert Bradley<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= - Visual FoxPro Development</a><br> [/sig]

GAM,

I agree with FoxDev. If you are using an ODBC connection and using NT security, a user should be able to log into the network and have acess to the database(s)you have granted them permission to.

When they open a connection to a database server, if you have set up the SQL server to use NT security all they have to do is register the server the dB is on and click 'okay'\'register' with a blank in the password section of the dialog box. This should get you in. I hope this works for you. [sig][/sig]

To clarify, we are using sql-server ID security with SQL Enterprise Manager. Whether this uses ODBC or not, I don't know. We _don't_ want to use NT authentication. We would like the user to be prompted _once_ for a login & then not subsequently. This seems to be possible for RapidSQL, but not for Enterprise Manager. Any ideas?
[sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back