Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Manipulate Query Data into a table

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowserj

MIS
Dec 12, 2000
US
I know this is probably very simple, but I would like to read through the records in a query, and write this data to a table after manipulating it. Basically what I am trying to do is get data that is in the form:

ClientName EmployeeName Date HoursWorked

I want to read through each record, and using code, determine the day of the week (ie Sun, Mon, etc) that each date occurrs on and then write that to a table setup as follows:

Sun_EmployeeName Sun_Hours Mon_EmployeeName Mon_Hours...

I plan to maintain a count for each day so I know which record to update. I am trying to create a schedule that shows the days of the week and what employees are working each day and when they are working.

Any help would be awesome....

Thanks

G'day Mate. You're already storing your data so why store it again? Just present it differently. Create a query, view it as SQL and paste this in:

Code:
TRANSFORM Sum([RED]tblEmployees[/RED].HoursWorked) AS SumOfHoursWorked
SELECT [RED]tblEmployees[/RED].EmployeeName
FROM [RED]tblEmployees[/RED]
GROUP BY [Red]tblEmployees[/RED].EmployeeName
PIVOT Format([date],"ddd");

I've assumed the table is called tblEmployees - correct this to your actual table name.

I have looked at something similar to this, but I need to present the data accross a page, and don't want to have one record on each line, I want to manipulate the data and drop it into individual fields in the new table so I can have data that looks like this:

SUN MON TUES WED THURS FRI SAT
DATA DATA DATA DATA DATA DATA
DATA DATA DATA
DATA DATA

Where I believe doing as you suggested would give me:

SUN MON TUES WED THURS FRI SAT
DATA
DATA
DATA
DATA
DATA
DATA
DATA
DATA
DATA
DATA
DATA

for the same data.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I may end up using that method if I cannot find a way to do what I need to do....

see:
How to concatenate multiple child records into a single value faq701-4233

No mate, by incorporating the Sum function it shouldn't do that, it should give the result you require. You may need to fiddle but you can achieve your results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back