Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mandrake Linux Install CD not booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

canguro

Programmer
Sep 15, 2002
US
Hello,

I am new to Linux, but eager to break new ground. I have Win 2000 on my PC, with 256 MB RAM, a Pentium 4 using 2 Ghz, and 28 GB free space.

I downloaded the 3 ISO images for Mandrake 9.0 from this site:

where the first is the Mandrake 9.0 CD 1 Install ISO image.
I first save all 3 ISO's to my hard drive and then created 3 separate CD's ('install' on CD 1, etc.). I placed CD 1 in the CDROM drive and shut down my PC using 'Restart', and when the re-boot took place I pressed DEL and made sure the 'First Boot Sequence' pointed to CDROM. I exited to continue the process. Seems that the CD drive was recognized (I heard it working), but somehow no boot took place from the install CD. Win 2000 came up as usual.

Any ideas from those gurus out there?

Your help would be appreciated to get this hopeful new Linux convert off the ground!!!

Many Thanks!

OK-

So Mandrake will do the partitioning- I should leave it as is (free space) to do this?
Let me run a few more things by you? These are some things I've read are good to do when setting up Linux- you tell me if they're true or not:
set plug-n-play to "disable" in BIOS before starting installation; that a mount point must be determined before starting the installation- if this is so, how do I know where to start this? What I read said to mount Linux 1-2GB inside the partition that you're loading it on-true?

On a different site I also saw this & noted it to verify with someone who might know:

/ext2 - 1200mb
/usr/local ext2 - 4000mb
/usr ext2 - 2000mb
/home ext2 - 4800mb
swap - 1000mb

this was based on a 13GB partition which is close to what I have left. I have no idea right now exactly what all this means but I can research further if it looks like something worth doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back