Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mandrake Linux 10.1 and Cisco Wireless 4500

Status
Not open for further replies.

penguin69

MIS
May 4, 2004
US
Take it easy on me, as I am tinkering with Linux. I have typically been a Novell and MS junkie.

Mandrake 10.1 and Cisco 4500. It sees the wireless card, and it calls it wifi0. I try to set the settings on it and it never connects. It is using DHCP. I have rebooted and restarted the network about 1000 times and I can't seem to get it to work. I have a Windows box that works just fine on this network. What can I check??? I am so lost..... I think I need to suck on Bill's nipple some more. ha!!

Any help is appreciated.

I actually am using the GUI under System Manager. I go to setup a new connection. I select Wireless connection. Then it asks me which adapter. I have several options, I choose wifi0. Then it brings me to the screen for my wireless settings. For this test environment, the setup is pretty basic.

ESSID - Enterprise Wireless AP (exact case)
Encrpt - None
Infrastructure Mode
DHCP is setup on the main network

I put these settings in. Then it tells me it needs to restart the network. I proceed and then it comes back up. I run out to the command prompt and nothing. I go into monitor connections and it says that I have no IP. I know that Linux has to have a better wireless config tool than the one that I am using. Where does it tell me signal strength?

Thanks for the help...

So your idea is it's related to a driver issue?

If this be the case, couldn't I just try a different Wireless card? I have an extra one there to try.

I just figured that it was me being stupid with Linux as opposed to a driver related issue. I will try both options out.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back