Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mandrake 9.1 to 10 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmtek

Programmer
Oct 13, 2002
AU
Im currently running Mandrake 9.1 on a machine not a hassle after learning how to use linux that is - took a while but got there. We use 9.1 as a dev machine to create web applications using java and php. My question is can you just throw in the version 10 cd and will it upgrade?? and are there any known issues???

Most distros I've seen only allow installation, not updating.

If you have enough space, I would install to a new partition/ drive, and try to reuse most of the setting from /etc and ~/.XY, ~/.XYrc .

It's a damned work, and not every application is willing to store it's configuration in /etc or ~/.XY

My lesson from this was: Don't install, if you don't need.
I would at least wait for the 2.6 kernel and a modern gcc before reinstalling but don't know, if they are in v.10

seeking a job as java-programmer in Berlin:

I have upgraded Mandrake from 7.x->8, and 8.x->9. It went ok both times, but that's not accounting for a 9.x->10 upgrade (bugs happen!). I always go into an upgrade with a dependable backup. Then it's sit down with a couple beers, hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and don't get too distraught if it blows up. That's also why I keep /home on a seperate partition, then move all my own web-devel stuff to the old /home/httpd (an old redhat thing I like just for this purpose), and dump good sql server backups in for good measure. Don't format /home after setting up partitions during installation, and all the important stuff you've downloaded, created for web-devel, tweaks to programs you use are all saved even if you start from scratch with the OS. Nice for dualboot too if you want to work it that way.

If it's my production box at work, i just run debian/stable, and apt-get dist-upgrade daily to catch security stuff, and leave the rest alone. It's backed up, but never fails to give me fits when I do anything major :)

----
JBR

If you had problems w/sound in 9.1, you get them again in 10 but you have to apply a different fix. 10 uses alsa by default, so prepare for the change.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

echo `fortune fortunes`$'\b in bed.'
Your lover will never wish to leave you in bed.

Ya might also wanna keep your 9.1 cds around - some familiar software isn't included in 10

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

echo `fortune fortunes`$'\b in bed.'
Your lover will never wish to leave you in bed.

thank you all - I have upgraded and not a problem at all went smooth - sound was ok, and mysql etc working correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back