Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mandrake 9.1 and hardware Compatibility? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pechenegs

MIS
Jun 15, 2003
GB

hi all, I have Xp-Pro installed and I want to duel boot with mandrake on the same HD but on seperate partitions, is this possible. I also want to know if my hardware is compatible ? I have a MSI 6340 km133 socket A mobo, AMD duron 850mhz, sdram pc133 256 RAM, seagate 40gb drive, samsung cdrom-dvd SD608 and lite-on CDRW 48x12x48.

thx in advance

hi manarth, I think I have cracked it, stupid me -:) lol!
I think I have been editing the lilo.conf file wrong , cos it looks like lilo bootloader is on hda5 and not hda as I thought it was. I went into cfdisk and this is what it shows:

Hda5 Logical Linux ext3 6284.09*
Hda6 Logical Linux Swap 518.20
Hda7 Logical Linux ext3 1445.53
primary Pri/log Free space 0.04*
Hda2 Boot Primary NTFS 17610.30
Primary Free Space 8.23

So, me thinks I should edit the lilo.conf file as,

other =/devhda2
label=winxp
table=/dev/hda5 ?

Is this correct Manarth?

linux disk references
hda specifies hard disk 'a' (the primary IDE channel master)
hdb = primary IDE channel slave
hdc = secondary master
hdd = secondary slave
hda1 = hard disk a, partition 1...
hda5 = hard disk a, partition 5...

You've got very strange partitioning going on there - 7 partitions! and linux is on what I'm guessing is a logical partition, rather than a primary partition.

[tt]table=/dev/hda[/tt] is correct: the partition table applies to the entire hard disk, rather than belonging to a specified partition.

When your computer boots up "and goes straight into Mandrake" - this isn't Mandrake, it's Lilo: with a flashy background to give it the Mandrake branding.

I think your lilo is configured fine - it dies when you select windows because it passes control to hda2's boot process, but the hda2 (windows) partition hasn't got a valid boot process. Hence you need to do a [tt]fixboot[/tt].

If you can use [tt]fdisk[/tt] or [tt]cfdisk[/tt] to get a full list of your partitioning, then post back with partition number, size, and type (FAT32 / Linux ext 3 / etc) - it should make your setup a bit clearer.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

that's all cfdisk shows. Partition magic shows:

partiton type size used unused status pri/log

* extended 20,363.6 20,363.6 0.0 active primary
local disk Linux ext3 5,992.9 5.992.9 0.0 none logical
swapspace2 LinuxSwap 494.0 0.0 494.0 none logical
localdisk Linux ext3 13,876. 13.786.4 0.0 none logical
localdisk D:\ NTFS 16,789 12.781 4.012 active primary
(8)unallocated 7.8 0 0 none primary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor