Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mandrake 9.0 to9.1 upgrade problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dentarthurdent

Technical User
Jul 2, 2002
GB
I tried upgrading Mandrake 9.0 to 9.1 using the upgrade option in the installer. It seemed to go very smoothly except for one hiccup at the beginning of the upgrade where I was told by the installer that zlib.**.**.rpm (can't remember exact package) couldn't be upgraded and they recommended it was deleted. I agreed and let the install start. The summary at the end of the upgrade seemed to be accurate so I rebooted into the new 9.1 or tried to anyway.
I started getting libz.*** not found and it refused to boot into X. There were errors at almost every stage of the bootup but I did get a text logon prompt from which I could access the filesystem. Is there a way I can rescue this upgrade or is this a case of trash the root and do a clean install ?
Thanks,
Will.

my $.02

What version of libz is currently on that upgraded system?

# rpm -qa |grep zlib

now, where is the 9.1 cd with the newer version? Let's say it's on cd1 . OK mount cd1

# cd /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS/
# rpm -Uvh zlib <hit tab to complete> <enter>

what messages does it give? please post.

you may be able to install with --nodeps and/or --force

Or it may be a re-install - hope not ;^>

Tried various things similar to what you describe to try and repair the install, eventually doing a 'rescue' install. This got the install up and running but I started to notice lots of little things wrong (gnome failed, kde worked sort of, applications and services were missing) so I lost patience and formatted the root partition followed by a straight install. This worked perfectly and I'm now starting to appreciate the delights of 9.1 ! I had my home directory on a separate partition so I never lost data.
Thanks for the pointers.

Will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back