Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mandrake 10 USB Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegoPiMaster

Programmer
Apr 25, 2004
US
I just installed Mandrake 10 on a computer w/a pci usb card.
Everything seems to be running fine as far as the usb interface goes, but im having some trouble getting my usbdrive to run. (64M QuickiDrive formatted FAT32) when i insert the drive, something running somewhere (i don't think it's GNOME, it seems to be doing it before i log into graphical also) creates /mnt/removable and a new entry in /etc/fstab that looks something like this...

none /mnt/removable (vfat or auto im not sure) (supermount?) fs=auto,dev=/dev/\*path to scsi device that seems to be equiv to /dev/sda1*\,user(?),noauto(?)

it looks alot like the new style of mount (i think it's new i dont recognize it) used for the cd-rom drives and floppy drives, (im sure those have the supermount option)

when the drive is in and mounted i go to /mnt/removable and try to touch a file.
"
...No medium found...
"

does anyone know what exactly supermount does and why i cant write to my drive (a.k.a what is going on here)

Thanks if you answer!

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

echo `fortune fortunes`$'\b in bed.'
Your lover will never wish to leave you in bed.

when you plug the drive in , a icon should appear - right click and select connect. (if the icon does not appear - reboot) this should give you access to the drive (took me awhile to find it on my machine - and Im using Mandrake 10 as well)

Thanks, but that wasnt my problem: the icon was appearing but something was going wierd in the SCSI layer emulation that made it act like an empty drive (eg. a usb floppy drive w/no floppy).

Whatever it was, it randomly stopped and now works fine. I think mandrake 10 (community) has some issues w/ kudzu and supermount yet so im just gonna pretend that it never happened

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

echo `fortune fortunes`$'\b in bed.'
Your lover will never wish to leave you in bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back