Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mandrake 10 on Dell D500 laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgswong

MIS
Nov 27, 2000
US
I'm trying to get Mandrake 10 X-Windows to work at 1024x768 (16-bit or 32-bit rs) on a Dell D500 laptop but have had no success. I have the right drivers (Intel i810 for 855GM/GME ) and tried modifying the XF86Config-4 file but no luck. MEPIS Linux works fine using the 2.4.26 kernel but does have issues using the 2.6.5 (Mandrake using 2.6.3).

Any ideas as to how to get the screen resolution as how I want it?

The audio also doesn't work as well, but does in MEPIS again.

Any help on either is really appreciated.

Thanks.

Snr Unix System Admin/DBA
Digicel Jamaica (

tried using the VESA driver instead? I use that from time to time on older/generic video cards, works fine, and should allow 1024*768 if your laptop's display supports that resolution.

I tried that driver but it only supports 8-bit which is not very pretty (to say the least). I'm missing something as this same laptop does 1024x768 at 16 or 32-bit in Windows.

Any more suggestions?

Digicel Jamaica (

I did some more research using google and found out I had to install an rpm called "855patch". This sets my Intel 855 chipset to use 16-64 MB RAM (configurable) as by default it only uses 1MB which isn't enough for 1024x768 at anything 8-bit and above.

So I'm at the resolutoin I want (even have 1154x864) but now the screen doesn't fit on the LCD! I have to pan using the mouse to get to all the corners of the screen and can't (yet anyways) find out how to stop this! Help again please!

Thanks.

Digicel Jamaica (

Can your monitor natively go to larger than 1024*768? (lots of laptops can't)

No the D500 can't go above 1024x768 but I don't want that resolution anyways. I just want the 1024x768 to display properly as it does in (sigh) Windows. Right now that resolution is only attainable via virtual screen panning.

Digicel Jamaica (

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back