Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mandrake 10.0 Screen Layout Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobetko

Programmer
Jan 14, 2003
US
I've just installed Mandrake 10.0. I logged in, I typed startx and I got:

Fatal Server Error
no screens found

I assume I need to properly setup my graphics card.
Which is Nvidia Riva 128ZX 8MB (Integrated into motherboard. I think it is supported by Linux) on Pentium 2 PC.

I tried several tools:
xf86cfg, starts "something" very hard to navigate. Freezes a lot. After I managed to set settings for my monitor and video card I saved it into xf86config file (default that was offered to me) and I tried startx again. Didn't work.

xf86config, tried this one. It asked me only about size of the video memory and color depth. I saved and didn't work.

XFree86 -configure, tried as well. It told me that it detected mouse and keyboard, and what to type if I want to test server. I tried that and it freezed. Interesting thing is that graphic mode was initialized (blue screen with cross/cursor. So why my startx doesn't work)

questions:
1) how can I set up video card?
2) how can I set XFree86 to run by default. Immediately after I log in?

The reason I ask question 2 is that before, when XFree86 was default, It couldn't run and I was offered to correct settings. Here I was getting error (EE) Unable to determine the screen layout after I would try to TEST my settings. Eventually I disabled XFree86 to be default and I couldn't get back to this app/settings or whatever it is.

Please help. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back