Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mandatory Roaming Profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellooooooooo

Technical User
Oct 21, 2005
GB
Hello Guys.

I've tried to run away from using roaming profiles on our network due to connection problems that we have. However I now need to use them.

Server setups: NT4 PDC, 3 BDC’s Win2k Data serves, Exchange 5.5 on a 2k box.

I’ve created a mapped drive on each data server to store the profiles. I want the profile to be mandatory, using a default background, screensaver and only a few icons on the desktop. I also want to have a link on the desktop linking the user to their mapped data drive. I need to make the profile as small as I can. Can a profile be locked down to 2mb max. It’s ages since I’ve looked at NT4 profiles.

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Marty

okie dokie...

Create a new roaming profile. Set it up as exactly as you want everyone's to appear.

For the desktop icon, create a shortcut and point it at: H:\ or something (wherever you want to map their drive).

In user Manager make sure their mapped drive is H:\ (in this case).

Logoff the profile.

Now, as an admin go into the profile directory and rename the "ntuser.dat" file to: "ntuser.man" - this is now a mandatory profile.

Move the profile to someplace accessible from everywhere (I usually put it at: "%logonserver%\netlogon\profiles\mandatory"

Make sure it inherits the permissions of netlogon (just to be sure).

Point everyones profiles at that location - et voila.

On a sidenote, one thing that used to annoy me is that you can't use Cryptographic Certificates (if you have to import one to access a website for instance) on Mandatory Profiles for 2k or above. Work fine on NT though. MS say they're designed that way and it's not a bug :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back