Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mandatory profiles using group policy 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FeetofClay

Technical User
May 2, 2002
GB
I want to force all users to have mandatory profiles. I have been using roaming profiles but its becoming a pain.
I gather it is best to use group policy to enforce mandatory profiles but i'm unsure how to do this.

Also I would like to know how the mandatory profile is created the first time a user logs in. Does win 2K server take it from the NETlogon share?

many many thanks for any assistance in advance good people

You can create a profile on a workstation and then copy it to a network share it think the tab is in "System" somewhere. You can then add the share name to their user profile properties, the next time they logon they will receive the profile that you created.

The profile will take a bit of setting up and make sure that youn run all programs that they will use so any first run configuration is saved in the profile, eg default open / save location if it needs to be a network share.

thanks bofhrevenge2. Won't I get a sharing violation when more than 1 person logs in and picks that profile up?

Also I have 150 users so adding the share name to the properties would be a pain - is there no way to do that using group policy?

I'm not sure about the group policy way but you can highlight all accounts and add the path to all accounts in one go.

We have over a thousand users and no probs with sharing as the profile is read only.

Also there are hundreds of AD management scripts here they might help.

Many thanks bofhrevenge2 - i feel a bit like the pfy ! ;-)

And with regard to folder redirection (having lighter profiles being one benefit)...

when i redirect using GPOs, excluding certain folders from profile, i have to reconfigure outlook on each new client!
grrrr!

anyone now of a good faq or site that explains how to implement this type of thing so that it works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back