Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Managing Legato from Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckster43

Technical User
Jul 12, 2003
US
My client has Legato running on Solaris 8 and is trying to manage the backups from Unix systems and Windows systems from a Windows box. Is this possible? When he goes to view the Unix backups, he is receiving an error code of "unix directives" and it cannot be read.

Thanks,

I am not sure what you mean:
- Of course you can administer your UNIX server from
NWADMIN for windows
- with respect of a directed recovery, NW 7 can do this
(UNIX > UNIX from WINWORKR.EXE)

Administration: yes
Directed Recovery: Only from the command line

I find that I much prefer the Windows admin interface (NWADMIN.EXE) to manage my Legato/Solaris server platform (compared to the Xwindows NWADMIN program).

If I do a Networker Windows Client install via the distribution disk I end up with NWADMIN.EXE installed.

You will have to allow your desktop account/machine access to the server.

In fact many UNIX administrator do this as the Windows GUI
is much more advanced. And it does not cost a penny: As long
as you do not back up this machine, you do not need a
license.

Kewl, I'll let the client know of this feature.

We run Hummingbird Exceed to emulate a X Windows enviroment to manage our Solaris 8 server from Windows 2000 PC's.

When I dial in to check the server, the Windows GUI times out. So, I use Exceed to get to the server. Exceed runs very slowly over a dial-up connection (c. 15-20 minutes to get a logon box), but it runs better than the Windows GUI.

I myself have been using the xware client for Windows to connect and manage the Solaris 8 system that Legato resides on.

If the Windows GUI times out, it could well be that the name
resolution is faulty. You may check this if you enter not
the server name but the ip address nwadmin shall connect
to. Yes, this is possible!

Of course this is only the forward path.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back