Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Manager team relationship 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MohanadTaimour

IS-IT--Management
May 1, 2011
EG
I'm leading a team of 12 engineers , to make it a good working environment, I'm always talking to them , trying to solve any difficulties they might have either in personal life o work issues , when any of them makes a mistake in work it is difficult blaming him/her and give him/her bad evaluation I need to know the best way to be close to your team and at the same time give them fair evaluation

1. Personal issues should be separate from work related discussions
2. clearly define deliverables and objectives that need to be met by employee
3, with Item #2 defined, performance discussions against those D/O will be obvious and simple to measure

Regards
Peter Buitenhek
Director
BidQwik.com
ProfitDeveloper.com

"Never settle for a job well done...always look for cost cutting measures

You can be the manager or you can be the friend. Pick one.

Frankly, if my manager started asking me about my personal life I would be so creeped out that I'd probably start documenting this stuff and go to HR.

It is very strange that you got that feeling and will report this to HR , I'm trying to be nice with my employees and have a good working environment to reduce work tension specially that age difference is not that big . But in few times when I give any of them work punishment about work mistake he/she get upset and says I thought we are friend and you will understand the reason for this mistake and will not reduce my evaluation. This is what I was asking about how to keep good relation with your team and at the same time make them understand I'm still your manager.

Reread the first paragraph I wrote. Reread it again.

You should now understand why your staff is reacting the way you described.

Pick one.

I got it , it seems like I have no choice as you mentioned either being a manager or a friend , I will proceed with being a manger only and will see how it will end up.
Thanks for the help :)

It's good to know that there are people that care about their business and their employees, its not very common and that’s one of the most important thing about leadership and management to make a business being successful. People will work better in an environment were they feel they are part of it, if they are hear they will feel encourage to collaborate and increase productivity. You could be a friend and a boss but you have to let them know that there is a time and place for everything. To evaluate their workflow you could use project management and online collaboration tools, to follow up work status and communicate with them into a platform were they will see what they are doing good and what they are doing wrong to improve their mistakes,. They need to see and the only way to do that is making a report of it, after you can have a friendly meeting face to face to bring together the best solutions.

b]Online collaboration tool[/

you are totally right , considering working environment is one of the important actions towards individuals and organization success. although setting smart goals to my team and sending them the follow up report on their progress , I see that some of them still can't differentiate between the right time and place for everything , I think this may depend on individual experience and culture , my plan is to arrange for a team building gathering where i'm going to discuss this issue with them in an indirect way.or you still see that confrontation is the shortest and best way.

You can't be friend and boss, but you can be a friendly boss. Employees need to know what is expected and you need to be consistent with them. You can be As nice as you want to be, you can be friendly with them and concerned about their personal lives but in the end - they need to know you are in charge and in the end the most important thing to you is getting the job done right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back