Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Management Studio & Localhost 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DMF

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
GB
Hi,

Can someone confirm that if Management Studio is installed on the same server as the SQL instance, does it use the LAN to access it?

I was under the impression anything that accesses localhost loopback over TCP/IP does not go out across the network, the same for a browser accessing IIS on the same server via localhost IP's

Thanks,
1DMF.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"
Free Electronic Dance Music

If I am not mistaken, when it's on the same box, it uses shared memory if you have it configured that way. Shared memory is the fastest connection possible. Shared memory is enabled by default, but can be turned off in "SQL Server Configuration Manager".

In fact, according to that document, when connecting locally, it does use shared memory. You can force it to use tcp/ip or named pipes if you want, but you have to jump through a hoop or two to do it.

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
twitter
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Thanks George, I didn't think the problems they were experiencing were LAN latency, and it turns out it wasn't.

It was log file growth going out of hand.

Regards,
Craig.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"
Free Electronic Dance Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back