Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Management IP stops responding on BS 5510 but still forwards packets

Status
Not open for further replies.

chang542

Technical User
Oct 25, 2005
US
I have a BS 5510 whose management IP has been acting up. I saw a couple other threads that deal with a similar issue, but didn't really solve or explain what I'm seeing.

Its a stack of 2 5510s running SW code version 3.01.

We have a bunch of these with the same basic setup and same code version, but this is the only stack that's having this issue.

On this stack, the management IP stopped responding to pings, but it was still forwarding packets for all the machines connected to it.

If I ping the stack IP from a machine that is directly connected into it, it will respond always. But at the same time, if I'm pinging it from a different subnet, it will not respond.

I found out however, that if I am connected through the serial console and send out a random ping to any server through the IP configuration menu, the management IP will start responding again to everything. But then after a few minutes or so, it will stop responding again.

Any ideas?

We've all seen older Baystack switches drop management packets under high load, but the 5500s have pretty big CPUs compared to the older 350/450 and 470 families.

I seem to recall people saying that the first couple versions of code for the 5500 platform weren't too great. I've had good luck with the 4.x versions under high load but that's the only code stream I've used. It might be worth looking through the release notes.

conflicting ip addresses?
inconsisting subnets?

give us some more details, like config, drawing!

Not certain what the root cause of this is...as I have witnessed similar symptoms on other product lines.

However, I would HIGHLY recommend upgrading the switches to 4.x...preferably the latest that is available.

By the way...a reboot of the switch/stack will resolve the issue that you are seeing, at least it always has for us.

But again, I would definately upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back