Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Management console snap in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinRam

MIS
Jan 2, 2001
I have a question regarding the MMC.

I was under the impression that with the MMC you can administer all your Windows 2000 servers from one location. Was I wrong?

Specifically, I created a MMC on the domain controller. Exchange 2000 is installed on a different machine. If, on that domain controller I go into the MMC and into Active Dir. Users and Computers, the exchange tabs are not there. On the exchange server they are there...

Anwy way to make them appear on the domain controller, or on other servers?

Does it say it cant connect to the remote computer you are trying to administer or are you even doing that action>connect to another computer>computer name
works for me!

Oh forgot to tell you try computer manager and that method!

The "connect to another computer" is for the "computer management" snap-in.

What I am interested in, is the active directory related stuff. The "users and computers" snap in only has the exchange related stuff on the exchange server.

We had a similar situation in an install I recently did. Exchange 2000 was not on the DC, and in order to get the Exchange related tabs to appear on the user's properties page, we had to install a piece from the Exchange 2000 CD on the DC.

We just inserted the Exchange 2000 CD into the Domain Controller, the autorun window popped up, and we installed the ADC piece which appeared there. (I think that's the one, I don't remember exactly, and I don't have the CD. I'm assuming it stands for 'Active Directory Connector').

hope this helps,
-gbiello

Will adminpak.msi on the win2k server cd help in this matter?

Here is the answer boys and girls;

1) If you want to be able to administer from your Windows 2000 Pro, workstation, install the adminpak. This will enable you to add snap-ins such as "users and computers" at your workstation.

But exchange tabs will not appear.

2) In order to make the exchange tabs appear, install the Microsoft Exchange System Management component from the Exchange 2000 CD. I would also add this component to all Windows 2000 domain controlers, so you can administer exchange from them.

3) Active Directory Conector is used to connect exchange to Active Directory. If your Exchange 2000 is not on a DC then you need it. It is also used to connect your existing exchange 5.5 site to AD. Using this, you can have a Exchnage 5.5 server and Exchange 2000 server working together.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction on this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back