Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Man shot in head, but notices only 5 years later

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwbMitel

Technical User
Oct 11, 2005
CA
Is it just me or is the word "only" misplaced in the caption.

I would say only notices, not notices only.

Notices only 5 years later seems to imply that the duration of time was only 5 years as opposed to being longer.

Occam's Razor - All things being equal, the simplest solution is the right one.

Hi,
Danger is my middle name!

(Actually, it is not even my nickname [wink] )

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Let me throw this into the fray:

Headlines are written to get the reader interested in reading the full story... they have to be short and poignant, as well as stick out from the rest of the typeset (larger font and bold)... and they have to fit the space allowed...

now while I agree with CC's dissertation, I agree the headline confuses the reader a bit, otherwise we wouldn't have this discourse on the subject...

now I would have written the headline thus:

Man noticed shot in head 5 years later

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

==> I only saw you on Wednesday ( The only day I saw you , not the only day I saw anything
The adverb only applies to term that immediately follows it; therefore, if you intend only to apply to the day, then it should immediately precede the day.

I saw you only on Wednesday.

==> I saw only you on Wednesday ( Just you no one else)
Correct.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

kwbMitel said:
Similar to saying "I could care less" (Which I hear all too often) What is said is understood to mean that the subject matters very little to whomever spoke it. However, the fine analysis reveals that being able to care less means that they actually care to some degree. This would not be consistent with what is commonly understood.

That's because the correct expression is "I couldn't care less". I've never heard anyone say otherwise?

Reminds me of when I was at school there was a brief fad of saying "Care factor?" with raised eyebrows and holding up thumb and forefinger to indicate '0'.

Annihilannic.

Annihilannic - If you have not heard anyone say "I could care less" when they mean't "I couldn't care less" you're just not noticing. Once you start noticing, it doesn't stop. (At least for me)

To be honest I think it's another of those Atlantic divide things - the more common usage in the UK is 'I couldn't care less' in my experience.

The internet - allowing those who don't know what they're talking about to have their say.

KenCunningham - You misunderstand me. Yes, the more common usage is "I couldn't care less". The incorrect usage being the other. Heard "All too often" not "everywhere I go".

TurkBear said:
I only saw you on Wednesday ( The only day I saw you , not the only day I saw anything)
...Or, "C": None of the above.

If you say, "I only saw you on Wednesday," it means "I did not speak with you on Wednesday; I did not shake your hand on Wednesday; I did nothing to you on Wednesday except see you."

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

Hi,
Nice point, Santa!

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back