Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Malwarebytes crashes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

micker377

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
US
Just doing my weekly clean-up. Went to run Malwarebytes (been using it for years), and it indicated that I needed to update it. So, as usual, I did. Now all it does is crash! I uninstalled it, and downloaded a current version from Major Geeks website (tried two different D/L - rebooting in between installs). No joy! Has anyone else seen this problem in the new 1.60.0 1800 version?

Win 7 Pro
8 gig mem
160 gig Hard Drive

Went ahead and ran Spybot for now.

Runs fine on mine, just updated to the latest and ran a scan.

Win 7 x64 Ultimate
8 GB mem
96 GB SSD, 500 GB , and 60 GB removable drive.

What is crashing, the installation setup, or running the installed program? What error are you getting? Is this the free program or the paid for one?

Try right-clicking on the actual Mbam Setup.exe and selecting the "Run As Administrator" option? Do so even if your user is an Admin.

Have you tried right-clicking on the shortcut to the program, or the .exe, and selecting the "Run As Administrator" option? Do so even if your user is an Admin.

Have you tried cleaning out your Temp folder, you can do it by typing %temp% in the Start Menu RUN box. This will open your Temp folder, there you can delete everything that Windows will allow you to do so.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Try it first by not checking either box (this will run it in a Read-only mode) to see if it flags any hard drive or file problems. If it does, restart it by ticking both boxes, and rerun it to allow it to attempt to fix any found problems.

Why don't you see what there is on this problem on the actual program's forum?

Uninstalled again. Ran Trend Micro House-call - no problems. Ran Ccleaner to clear all caches. Did a cold-boot to eliminate any residuals. Down loaded free version from malwarebytes.org. Tried "run as administer" from both the shortcut, and from the exe in the c:/programs directory.
If it is run from the desktop icon, Soluto pops up with a "program crashed" error. If I click on the executable, it does nothing - no errors... no action! This is really puzzling, as I have used it for years, and just used it last week! No problems until I downloaded the latest version (1.60.0 1800)

No problem on my XP or Win7 system...

now the only time I#ve seen MBAM crash, was when there was an infection... this holds very true when even an older version of MBAM will not run either...

is there any entry in the EventViewer, that may help us further?

also I would suggest SuperAntiSpyware, install it and run a scan...

besides that GMER, RKILL, and a few other rootkit detectors and a HJT scan can be helpful here... Post all logs before cleaning...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Have you tried testing with another user in case your current profile is a problem?

What is "Soluto"?

I have used 1.60.0 1800 without any problems.

Do other Windows tools like Regedit, or msconfig, or cmd.exe, load up and run OK?

Does 1.60.0 1800 run OK or install in Safe Mode?

Do you want to try System Restore back to when you had the old version and see if that still runs OK, then uninstall it, and again try the latest version.

I have run a rootkill program - none found. Restored back to last week before all of this started - the roll-back maintained the new program. Tried Chkdsk - no problems.
All other programs (run O.K.). I will check on Event Viewer.
Soluto is a program that allows you to delay non-essential start-up programs. I've been using it for a long time - never interfered with anything. That's what has me so confused - everything works as it has in the past, except for this upgraded version of Mbam! I would like to find an older version of Mbam, but it's not available on the website.

Update: Event Viewer - error 1000 (100)

4ef23d40
mbamcore.DLL
4eea37f7
c0000005
00060ae0
6c8
01ccc840e016bfc3
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamcore.DLL
21f407ac-3434-11e1-a14f-0019214bbe79

Very often (but not in every case) c0000005 indicates an access permissions type problem for the current user.

I recently updated two W7 PCs with Malwarebytes. 1st one had no problems. 2nd one would no longer run. Ran the steps given here (post #17) and cleared up my issues (as many have also done so with success):

Vince
ASAP Member (VopThis) - Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals

Thank you - thank you - thank you!!!
Downloaded and ran Reinstalled the version of Mbam that I have tried so many times. Installed, updated, and ran perfectly! I wonder what "clean" does that regular uninstall methods don't?
Anyway, it's all O.K. now, so we can close this thread.
Thanks again, this really had me stumped!

I wonder what "clean" does that regular uninstall methods don't?
If you've ever used an uninstaller like Revo Uninstaller then you can see that regular uninstallers can leave registry fragments, files, and directories behind.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

2fft:
Yes, I use a program called "Smarty Uninstaller". It uninstalls the programs, and then goes through to "clean-up" the residuals in the registry. Even that left a DLL in the original sub-directory that wouldn't leave. I had to "take ownership" to get rid of that! That's why I was so confused - program gone, registry cleaned, and ALL references deleted! I guess that's why MBam makes it' own "cleaner"! It's like trying to get rid of Norton!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back