Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Making the static html page dynamic

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberzany

Programmer
Mar 2, 2002
US
Hi,
I am new to web developing and have a question to you all. I have created few html pages using Frontpage 2000. Now there is a requirement that I should be adding data from the database to all the html pages. I don't have any clue of doing this. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Hi Cyberzany,

The first step is to know the environment your pages will be running in. This is necessary in order to select a server-side programming language, that will allow the creation of dynamic pages fetching data from a database. For instance, if you run IIS, then you could select ASP; if it's Apache, you could take PHP or FastCGI; if you know Java, you could then pick up JSP and install Tomcat or Resin as a servlet container.

Then, the steps are more or less similar whatever language you use (the syntax is different but the philosophy is similar). You will need to open the connection to the database (using standard ODBC or JDBC), fetch the data from the database using SQL, display the data on the page and then, closing the connection to the database.

Of course, your pages will then need to be saved as .asp, .php, .jsp... depending on the technology you will use. Please note that this web site hosts several forums about all the technologies mentioned above, so have a look there too for some hints.

I hope this helps. If you have further questions, please post again and I will be glad to help, if I can.

xso

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back