Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Making Tapes Overwritable

Status
Not open for further replies.

popotech

IS-IT--Management
Dec 5, 2001
US
hello, we're running veritas 9.1 on a dell powervault lto tape library with win2k servers. recently i have purchased a few extra tapes, this is where the funny thing is happening, i'm running a grandfather backup scheme. so i have have a media set for incremental, weekly and monthly. when i get a new tape and move the tape to that media set automatically it takes on that media sets overwrite protection. is there anything i can do? like i have a monthly backup coming up and i had a new tape that i put in and it's overwrite protected till the 26th of next month?

koury

I think all you can do is change the protection level in media management to none temporarily, or reduce the media overwrite / append levels in that media set for now

Mike

MikeLeach,
Hey thanks for the post, I have figured out a way around the issue, for some reason this version of veritas doesn't have a overwrite protection period of "NONE", sweet huh, just hours, days, weeks, years and infinite-don't allow overwrite. so what i had to do was move the tape from the moonthly media set to scratch media and when the monthly ran it took the tape from scratch media and wrote to it. so the problem is solved but it would definetly be nice to see a none option on overwrite protection. thanks again.

popotech

My experience tells me that now that the tape has moved from scratch media to your media set (without making the suggested change)this tape will be write-protected the next time you use it.

What I did to get around this is to go to the properties of the media set and set the over-write protection to 0. It doesn't matter what time period type (hours, days, etc.)is selected in the drop down menu next to it.

I suppose you could play around with write protecting it for 1 hour or 3 days, but I haven't yet tried it - too much else to do....

Hope this helps.

I never thought of that, thanks for the idea.

I drag it into Scratched Media and it automatically allows for overwrite. (tape color turns blue)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back