Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Making SCO 5.0.5 act as a router...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbolya

ISP
Jul 21, 2000
US
There are two NIC's installed on this system the first has a public IP with a default route to next hop. Everything is fine on that end. The second card has a private IP of 192.168.1.1/16. I followed some vague directions that say to update the inconfig file by typing: #inconfig ipforwarding 1 and #inconfig ipsendredirects 1. This allows any machine on the private LAN to ping the private IP and the public IP on the server but does not reach any other public IP's. Packets don't seem to go any farther than that. Any info guessed or not would be helpful.

Jimbolya,<br><br>This is part-guess, so correct me if I'm wrong folks, but I believe the 192.168.x.x network is a reserved set of IP addresses for internal networks that use NAT (Network Address Translation/IP masquerading) so unless you have some software running that will do that for you it won't work.&nbsp;&nbsp;I think routers don't normally route traffic from that network.<br><br>You'll probably have to either a) find some software to do it, or b) find some IP addresses unique to the external network that you can use on the private LAN.<br><br>Hope that helps!<br><br>Annihilannic.

I suppose it was arrogant of me to think that UNIX would run Port Address Translation by default just because it has two network cards. I installed a program that adds the NAT service and so far does what it's supposed to. Thanks for your help.

I have same issue with my SCO 5.0.7 box. I have installed IpNAT & ipfilter patch from SCO Maintanance pack 3.

Configured IPNAT with following command & scripts
ipnat -FC -f - <<EOF
>map net0 192.168.0.188/255.255.255.0 -> 61.247.224.66/32
>EOF

on issue of command ipnat -l

I get two routes enabled but the packets do not get forwarded from my network node to ouside on the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back